- Joined
- Nov 28, 2022
- Messages
- 3,745
BEHOLD. THE SNOTLORD HIMSELF.
I started this drawing back in February when I had the flu, and then I kind of forgot about it for a while. Now I'm sick again so I decided this is as good time as any to finish it. 🙃
In case you aren't familiar with the story going on, I have an OC whom I have not properly named yet, but for now I call him Lord Snottington. He's a prissy, pompous Doriathrin lord. For whatever reasons, he and Maedhros have to deal with each other from time to time and neither of them are thrilled about it. Their dynamic usually revolves around Snottington constantly trying to sniff out some flaw or weakness in Maedhros, and Maedhros gaslighting him so he either doubts himself for having brought it up, or feeling it would be improper to say anything about it to anyone else.
In this particular moment, this is part of a story I've imagined in which some Fëanorian hater has poisoned Maedhros, and this happens while Himring, and the nearby area, is experiencing a famine. (Real smart move, isn't it? Trying to assassinate your lord who's trying to keep you alive in a famine.) Anyway, the negotiations are too important for the survival of the kingdom, so Maedhros has to tough it out despite feeling crummy. Which includes continuing to put up with Snottington.
So, with that context, hopefully you can recognize the joke and the way Maedhros gaslights Snottington out of the valid observation regarding his complexion.
From an art perspective, I feel my digital art process and style is improving, so I'm happy there. I allowed this one to be more cartoony than some other recent digital drawings-- for example, the lineart is black rather than colored, and the shading isn't super detailed. But I'm really happy with the torch lighting. Thanks to the use of orange and light yellow on an Add layer, and the use of high-saturation transition colors near the edges of the shadows, I think the lighting is an improvement over lighting I've done in the past.
Please let me know what you think of the drawing, and of this silly little Snotlord here!
I started this drawing back in February when I had the flu, and then I kind of forgot about it for a while. Now I'm sick again so I decided this is as good time as any to finish it. 🙃
In case you aren't familiar with the story going on, I have an OC whom I have not properly named yet, but for now I call him Lord Snottington. He's a prissy, pompous Doriathrin lord. For whatever reasons, he and Maedhros have to deal with each other from time to time and neither of them are thrilled about it. Their dynamic usually revolves around Snottington constantly trying to sniff out some flaw or weakness in Maedhros, and Maedhros gaslighting him so he either doubts himself for having brought it up, or feeling it would be improper to say anything about it to anyone else.
In this particular moment, this is part of a story I've imagined in which some Fëanorian hater has poisoned Maedhros, and this happens while Himring, and the nearby area, is experiencing a famine. (Real smart move, isn't it? Trying to assassinate your lord who's trying to keep you alive in a famine.) Anyway, the negotiations are too important for the survival of the kingdom, so Maedhros has to tough it out despite feeling crummy. Which includes continuing to put up with Snottington.
So, with that context, hopefully you can recognize the joke and the way Maedhros gaslights Snottington out of the valid observation regarding his complexion.
From an art perspective, I feel my digital art process and style is improving, so I'm happy there. I allowed this one to be more cartoony than some other recent digital drawings-- for example, the lineart is black rather than colored, and the shading isn't super detailed. But I'm really happy with the torch lighting. Thanks to the use of orange and light yellow on an Add layer, and the use of high-saturation transition colors near the edges of the shadows, I think the lighting is an improvement over lighting I've done in the past.
Please let me know what you think of the drawing, and of this silly little Snotlord here!

