Because I consider my opinion correct and based on
books
Thank you for clarifying, and in a very nice way.
Regarding this statement, I believe we would all say this. All of our opinions are based on our interpretation of the
books and their contents.
Our differences aren't because we (either you or I) aren't reading the books 'correctly.'
We are reading the books based on our interpretations and worldviews of things like what is "good" or "bad".
And we do all have very different opinions of what is "good" or "bad."
That said, we will therefore naturally have different interpretations.
You are certainly welcome to have your opinions. My biggest concern is you kind of insult the others, telling them they aren't basing their opinions
"on the books." They most surely are. They are just interpreting the books through their lens...which differs from yours, and also differs from mine.
My lens also differs from yours.
That does not make either of us 'right or wrong.' it just means we disagree.
And we can disagree with compassion and understanding.
For example: I could further explain to you, and give you a demonstration of,
why I think it is wrong for Snape to abuse his students, call them idiots, demean them in front of others, etc.
But I will not do so, because I believe it would be pointless. You and I simply have a different underpinning - call it a "philosophy" if you will - for how we come to that judgment - for how we determine what actions by teachers - the things they
do - "good" or "bad.."
Also note my wording above... I sand "things they do" good or bad. In other words, I have in view the specific
behaviors being used and whether those behaviors (doings) are 'good or bad' - not necessarily the goodness or badness of the whole person.
And trust me - I know the books. Knowing the books word for word fully, does not change an evaluation of specific actions.
By the end of my study of Snape, I may altogether change my opiniion of him. He does indeed need to deal with many things others don't need to deal with, and he does seem to 'repent' as seen in both is behaviors and his words (to a degree). Certainly, he ends up helping in such a way the
evil that is Voldemort is at last removed.
So if you'lll give me some time to go through it all again, fully in context, and re-interpret Snape if and as necessary, we may find my opinion mellowed toward Snape a bit, and be having a different discussion.
The ONLY place I cannot make a change at this point, is regarding his
behaviors as a teacher. (Or even as a human being.) This is as far as I have gotten in my review of Snape.
No teacher (or person) should behave in that way toward students (or other people,) ever. Especially not when they're as young as 11 years old - but really at any age. Many studies show it is not conducive to training, and can actually be damaging. Snape himself pretty clearly appears to have been damaged by circumstances - and he's 'acting out' because of that. perhaps But it does not give him the 'right' to intentionally damage others. Or discriminate against them, etc. We are solely responsible for what we ourselves do. We are never responsible for what others have done TO us, nor excused from our bad behaviors because of what has been done to us. We have Choice. We choose wisely, or badly, with each step we take, and thing we do.
I'm very sorry you have experienced such teachers. If they were as rude and demeaning as Snape was, in my worldview they were wrong. What they
did was, in my view, bad. In the real world, they would not last long as teachers - at least here where I've been educated. I cannot change what I think about this issue - it is based on what I hold to be the truth according to the highest authority anywhere in this world.
So again, given some time, I'll get done with the rest of my analysis, and we'll see what my opinions are at that time - understanding they are still just my Opinions, and just as you are able to hold yours, I am able to hold mine. It does not mean I 'don't know the books.'
So again, thank you for your latest response. Let's just agree to disagree about some of Snapes
behaviors, and move on.