• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Make 🧝Elvish Lembas bread

Rhiannon said:
So what did you use, Two Trees? Give us the benefit of your hands-on experience, please...some of us have a history of causing minor kitchen emergencies such as smoke and explosions...

Well I used a different recipe tonight! They are sooooooooo GOOD! My god! They are awesome. This recipe is way better then the last.

3 eggs
1 cup honey (preferably wild honey)
1 tablespoon grated fresh nutmeg
2 tablespoon of orange juice
4 tablespoons of grated almonds
1 teaspoon (3 1000mg capsules) of hempseed oil
1/4 cup fresh melted butter
2-1/4 cups semolina flour
1/2 teaspoon (sea) salt

Well a griddle iron is like a waffle iron (you could use a waffle iron). It has two sides of heat.

Just mix all the dry stuff together then add eggs, melted butter, orange juice and hemp oil.

After that is mixed, mix in the honey.

Mix well in a mixing bowl. Pour into griddle.

Wait 6-10 minutes until it is done in griddle.

The end result is a medium bown crust with a honey yellow inside. A very filling treat. Good for hikes. VERY TASTEY, OMG!
 
Last edited:
I wonder how well it would work to use a regular griddle, the things with one side, and flip it...do you think it would fall apart?

Must go play in kitchen...
 
Sounds good, I'll try to get one of my family members to make it sometime :D ;). The closest thing that I've found to lembas is toaster strewdles (sp?), I can't get enough of those, sometimes I even have midnight cravings.
 
I have to make these some time! It sounds really good. Its so cool..... usually I would just carry around saltine crackers and call them lembas. :)
 
Niirewen said:
Yay, sounds great! Thanks! :)

I think this is the best recipe for Lembas on the internet. It took me many times to find the right mixture. I found the little bit of hemp oil really helped it. But you could not taste it. It just made the Lembas . I think next time I will use grated hemp seeds added to the mix.

The hemp seeds might have been used in Lembas bread as the special nuts in Lembas.


A griddle is very easy to find people. It is worth the griddle for a Lembas. They arent like anything ive tasted.

It was sooooooooooooooooooooo good.

Remember to use the flour they make pasta out of.

I think after my experiement with hemp seeds, I will try Native American fry bread versiom Lemas.
 
So what where do you find hemp oil, and if you can't find it what might make a good substitute? (I like in a wee little flyspeck town where the center of culture is the super Wal-Mart)
 
Rhiannon said:
So what where do you find hemp oil, and if you can't find it what might make a good substitute? (I like in a wee little flyspeck town where the center of culture is the super Wal-Mart)

You can find hempseed oil inside gel capsules at health food stores . I used a Canadian brand called "Hempola".
 
Here is some background info. on Lembas, for any fanatics. The Lembas also increased a desire for immortality-so don't go too crazy. ;)

Lembas, 'waybread', is called a 'food concentrate'. As I have shown I dislike strongly any pulling of my tale towards the style and feature of 'contes des fees', or French fairy-stories. I dislike equally any pull towards 'scientification', of which this expression is an example. Both modes are alien to my story.
We are not exploring the Moon or any other more improbable region. No analysis in any laboratory would discover chemical properties of lembas that made it superior to other cakes of wheat-meal.
only comment on the expression here as an indication of attitude. It is no doubt casual; and nothing of this kind or style will (I hope) escape into the actual dialogue.
In the book lembas has two functions. It is a 'machine' or device for making credible the long marches with little provision, in a world in which as I have said 'miles are miles'. But that is relatively unimportant. It also has a much larger significance, of what one might hesitatingly call a 'religious' kind. This becomes later apparent, especially in the chapter 'Mount Doom' (III 213 and subsequently). I cannot find that Z has made any particular use of lembas even as a device; and the whole of 'Mount Doom' has disappeared in the distorted confusion that Z has made of the ending. As far as I can see lembas might as well disappear altogether
'Letter 210' Letters of Tolkien'

There is also some info. in 'Of Lembas' (HoME 12.) They were made of a special corn and collected by the Madiens of Yavanna, a pseudo-satanist cult of Elven women in Middle-Earth. Think of it as tasty cram.
 
Lembas for ordinary folk

This is my quickbread version of the Lembas recipe above. It does not have the keeping quality of elf bread, but, o my goodness, is it ever tasty.

LEMBAS QUICKBREAD

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease or spray an 8" by 8" square cake pan.

Mix the dry ingredients together:
2 cups all-purpose or unbleached flour
1/4 cup sliced almonds (you will need another 1/4 cup later)
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking soda
zest from half an orange, or to taste

In a separate bowl, mix the liquid ingredients together:
1 and 1/4 cups orange juice
2 to 4 Tbs. honey, to taste
1/2 tsp. almond extract

When the oven reaches temperature, pour the liquid into the dry ingredients. Mix quickly - don't overmix. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes -- toothpick test for doneness. Remove from oven. While bread is still hot, drizzle with 2 Tbs. warmed honey; spread with a knife to cover top of bread. Sprinkle with reserved almonds; press lightly into the honey so they will stick. Let cool for 10 min. in pan. Then remove carefully to a rack to finish cooling. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT CUTTING INTO THIS UNTIL IT IS COMPLETELY COOL!

(The recipe has no eggs or oil; this is as it should be)
 
Jan said:
This is my quickbread version of the Lembas recipe above. It does not have the keeping quality of elf bread, but, o my goodness, is it ever tasty.

LEMBAS QUICKBREAD

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease or spray an 8" by 8" square cake pan.

Mix the dry ingredients together:
2 cups all-purpose or unbleached flour
1/4 cup sliced almonds (you will need another 1/4 cup later)
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking soda
zest from half an orange, or to taste

In a separate bowl, mix the liquid ingredients together:
1 and 1/4 cups orange juice
2 to 4 Tbs. honey, to taste
1/2 tsp. almond extract

When the oven reaches temperature, pour the liquid into the dry ingredients. Mix quickly - don't overmix. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes -- toothpick test for doneness. Remove from oven. While bread is still hot, drizzle with 2 Tbs. warmed honey; spread with a knife to cover top of bread. Sprinkle with reserved almonds; press lightly into the honey so they will stick. Let cool for 10 min. in pan. Then remove carefully to a rack to finish cooling. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT CUTTING INTO THIS UNTIL IT IS COMPLETELY COOL!

(The recipe has no eggs or oil; this is as it should be)


That recipe sucks... I am sorry to say, I tested it. tasted like horse dung, I think my recipe is a 1000 times better.
 
one more thing. (mom just got a waffle iron for christmas, so i don't know how to use it.) How long should the lembas be in there?
 
Sarah said:
one more thing. (mom just got a waffle iron for christmas, so i don't know how to use it.) How long should the lembas be in there?


Till you smell them about 8ish-15ish minutes. With an waffle iron the texture will be quite off, but nonetheless it will still taste good. Poke a toothpick to see if they are done.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top