Mithrandir-Olor
New Member
- Joined
- May 1, 2011
- Messages
- 78
There are times, when studying the theology presented in Tolkien's work, that I find myself wondering if Manwe is supposed to essentially be God The Son, or The Logos.
The main problem I have with this, is that Manwe is a created being, while The Logos is not. But still he rules the Anuir with seemingly divine Authority, and his being in a sense a "Twin" of Melkor could be inspired by Mormonism where Jesus and Lucifer are brothers.
Also, when looking at Hindu Paralels Manwe seems allot like Vishnu (The color Blue, being the Preserver of the World), who often in comparative mythology compared to the 2nd Person of the Trinity (With Braman being the first) and his Avatars to Jesus.
I realize the Trinity was never something Tolkien wanted to get into, it would have complicated things allot more, even Lewis couldn't address well in his fictional Cosmologies either.
The main problem I have with this, is that Manwe is a created being, while The Logos is not. But still he rules the Anuir with seemingly divine Authority, and his being in a sense a "Twin" of Melkor could be inspired by Mormonism where Jesus and Lucifer are brothers.
Also, when looking at Hindu Paralels Manwe seems allot like Vishnu (The color Blue, being the Preserver of the World), who often in comparative mythology compared to the 2nd Person of the Trinity (With Braman being the first) and his Avatars to Jesus.
I realize the Trinity was never something Tolkien wanted to get into, it would have complicated things allot more, even Lewis couldn't address well in his fictional Cosmologies either.
Last edited:
