• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

More Riddles in the Dark

Nah! Wrong! :p

And don't mind too much the said scores! It's the "mathematical" process that is important!
And look out for any and all punctuation marks! ;) :p :D
 
grrr... tricksy wraith!

I'm so lousy when math's at hand...;)
 
I am going through all the events in Middle-earth that could possibly fit the maths. I even looked at marriages and births, sword reforgings, gatherings of people, etc. but so far you have me beaten. Also, I don't get the 'student' bit.
 
Lhunithiliel said:
One and one - makes two, I'd say.
Two and two - a fine four - you'd boast.
But no worse "student" I am!
So, I'm adding two more and there - equal we become in score!
I'm getting the feeling that the last line is referring to Merry and Pippin, since they were added to the fellowship so there were the same number of companions as the were Nazgúl.
I have no idea what the "student" part is though...

Perhaps the "one and one" are Frodo and Sam
the "four" are Gimli, Boromir, Legolas and Aragorn...
But then Gandalf doesn't fit the "student" part at all...:(
 
Oh! Where is this Middle Earth World going to end up, if even immortals have lost their devine senses?!!! :p :D

Another hint (there must be sth. wrong with my ring if I'm being so good!!! ;) ) :

Don't mind too much the numbers mentioned! It's the "matematical process" that reveals the riddle and also some words used - not the numbers so much!
 
Lhunithiliel said:
Don't mind too much the numbers mentioned! It's the "matematical process" that reveals the riddle and also some words used - not the numbers so much!
hey, we've had that one already... not fair :p

c'mon, mathematicians, relieve me of that "thingy" :D
 
No, wait, I think I get it. I think it's a battle. So: I am going for the siege of Gondor.

Denethor stood alone and then came the prince of Dol Amroth. (to add one to one and get a fine two). Mordor had the armies which had captured Osgiliath and the Nazgul and was waiting for the other two: the Haradrim and the Umbar corsairs. So to Denethor's camp were added the Rohirrim and the Dead. The student could refer to "steward" which sort of rhymes with it.
 
Hmmm.... In one thing you are right, Maya Queen!
But... if I tell you what it is ... then it will be a HUGE hint! ;)

Ah! Well... it IS a battle! But think again which one!

( I shall have to speak to my Master about the abilities of my Ring! I've become too good! :D )
 
Lhunithiliel said:
... Maya Queen!
mmm, reminds me of my queenie... (think I know what you're hinting at, Lhun, but... too mellow to take it away from you, Melian the Maia, you're too close the right answer;) go, get it!)
Lhunithiliel said:
( I shall have to speak to my Master about the abilities of my Ring! I've become too good! :D )
good wraith, have a cookie :D
 
A battle:

Let's think - battles in the Lord of the Rings (which are not in the Hobbit and the Silmarillion):

First battle against Sauron - hinted at but not in detail, appears in the Silmarillion as well. It features men and Elves against the forces of Sauron, which are not two and two....

Battle at Helm's Deep - no, I don't think so, there aren't four against four.

Battle for Isenguard - no, surely not, because those are only Ents+hobbits against orcs and Saruman. The numbers are not right.

Battle for Osgiliath - no, again the same as above

Siege of Gondor - no, because you said it isn't

Battle before the Morgul gate - umm, I don't think so, because we are supposed to start with one and one against two and two, which is not true, whichever side you look from...

Am I really missing something here?
 
Originally Posted by Lhunithiliel
One and one - makes two, I'd say.
Two and two - a fine four - you'd boast.
But no worse "student" I am!
So, I'm adding two more and there - equal we become in score!

Eledhwen 'scrapes the bottom of the barrel' with:-

Sam rescues Frodo in Cirith Ungol (1+1)
They become Orc 'doubles'
they are tracked by two Orcs, one of whom studies the terrain.
2 Orcs against 2 'Orcs' - one of whom gets even with the other.
 
Lhunithiliel said:
Once again - DON'T MIND THE NUMBERS!
It's the mathematical process...

C'mon! :eek: :D :rolleyes: :cool:
Can we have another hint, other than that it's the "mathematical process that counts"? No one seems to be gaining anything from it.
And has the answer been mentioned yet amonst our wild guesses? You have a habit of ignoring guesses if they are mixed with other guesses...;)
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top