• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Mouth of 👁️Sauron and Frodo and Sam's stuff

Sarde

Shadowfax's stablegirl
Joined
Jan 11, 2004
Messages
208
In book V of LotR, in "The Black Gate Opens", Mouth of Sauron shows to Gandalf and the others the mithril shirt of Frodo and the sword of Sam. I haven't read any further yet, I am starting book VI now.

Does this mean that Sauron knew that there were Hobbits in his land? Then he must also have known that they escaped. So why weren't all of his orcs and other servants looking for those Hobbits? Even if Sauron thought they were only spies, I would rather be safe than sorry if I was him.

Please enlighten me...
 
Frodo was still a prisoner in the tower of Cirith Ungol when a messenger left the tower to bring the artifacts to Sauron. The Orcs also thought Frodo had an Elven companion, which is what probably reached Sauron's ears. But it never dawned on him that these two people, whatever race they were, would attempt to destroy the One Ring.

So why weren't all of his orcs and other servants looking for those Hobbits?
There was also the pressing matter of war at hand. Sauron couldn't just forget about all of that and start looking for some spies who were probably just that - he wouldn't want the snooping around his land, but they couldn't do any serious damage anyway.

Read on - you'll see that Sauron is wary and has sent some of his servants to search for these intruders.
 
Spoilage

You've only sixty pages to go before the Ring slips into the drink! As Ithy says, read on! No time for questions- all will be answered in the text.
 
Okay, I will take your advice then. I would've read on anyway. :) I was just wondering what Sam and Frodo would be doing at the exact moment that MoS is showing their things to Gandalf c.s.

But, only a few more pages to go. As I am approaching the end of the book, I am reading slower and slower because I don't want the book to end! There have been days when I read over 100 pages, but now I don't read more than a chapter a day.
 
The Never-Ending Book

How to make the book never end: when you finish the last page, go back to page 1 and start all over again.

Every time I read LOTR and the Silmarillion, I pick up new details, and the books just get richer and richer.
 
Sarde said:
I was just wondering what Sam and Frodo would be doing at the exact moment that MoS is showing their things to Gandalf c.s.
They are somewhere near or on Mount Doom.

Sarde, I envy you your first reading of the book. That is simply the best experience ever! :)
 
Jan said:
How to make the book never end: when you finish the last page, go back to page 1 and start all over again.

I have been planning to do that, yes.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top