Adventure tends not to come to those who safely sit inside their
Hobbit holes, unwilling to venture forth, expend some effort, take risk. There's much truth in the words "Life is what you make it."
Here are just a few of the high points I experienced in the year 2003:
· Rainbow trails reflected in a golden sheen of water at sunset while being on a boat facing West on my birthday.
· The once-in-a-lifetime sight of a rare bird ... an endangered species called "Kirtland's Warbler" spotted October 5th of this year on Kelley's Island!
· Horse-keepers at the Bit & Bridle stable trusting me enough to ride a problem
horse ... thus granting Cocoa a chance to succeed, and myself an experience I won't forget. Apparently, only two people in the world are allowed to, or are willing to, ride this horse, and I'm one of them. Not that I'm an experienced horse-whisperer, I'm definitely not … it's just that Cocoa is a friend who happens to be a horse ...
I've also been known to to dress up as an Iroquois Indian interpreter/fur trader and volunteer for the living history canoe program at the local park. Volunteering meant I was able to ride around in a canoe all summer long, absolutely free ... or rather, sing for my supper of split pea soup and camp coffee cooked over an open fire ... French and Iroquois songs, while we paddled the canoe. Lots of good times, from throwing crabapples at fellow volunteers to rescuing people who'd fallen in the lake, to having a man mistakenly think the beaver pelt I wore at my waist was a human scalp, to trading a skunk pelt with gentle teasing about how it smelled compared to the breath of the people trading it, to losing something
precious that a friend had given me and having a small child who had seen my loss unexpectedly, and very touchingly, return what they could scavenge of it.
And as for work, I've been blessed ... for as a technical writer, I am able to make my living in the manner of
Tolkien's
Lorien Elves ... at an occupation that actively engages my love of writing and
languages, enabling me that magical sort of creativity where I can ... "put the thought of all that I love into all that I make."
LIFE IS OUT THERE, AND WELL WORTH LIVING!
And if wearing a wizard's hat is my lot in life ... then ... I eagerly accept!
Gandalf the Grey