• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Names of Characters and Places

Rasec

The Dawnstar Calaquendi
Joined
Jan 15, 2002
Messages
366
Hey people, Im Cesar, from Brazil. I am just a starter about lord of the rings, cos i've only read FOTR. well, i would like to know if J. Tolkien is who invents all the names of characters and places (u know, wonderful names) or if he takes these names from somewhere or even if he is based in a certain language to compose the names...

I dont know if this question has already been posted, but here it is.
i would be very glad with your answer, guys. Thanks.

Cesar Filho.

"I will take the ring to Mordor!
Though... I do not know the way."
 
Last edited:
Also, the language of Rohan was an actual norse language that was used by Germanic tribes in Europe...

Nearly all the names that I can think of are his own making, mostly because they have Quenya or Sindarin roots in them....
 
Actually, I think Rohirric was simply based on old English. Some examples include Pukel-men, the name for Ghan-buri-ghan and the likes, which means something along the lines of goblin-men, and Uthwit (sp?), which was early on a name given to Saruman, meaning old wise man. The relationship between the Westron used in the books and Rohirric was supposed to reflect the relationship between Modern English and Old English, I believe, as the Rohirrim belonged to the ancient strain of Edain who never made it to Beleriand.

Cesarfilho- I'm curious about which language you are reading the books in. If you're reading the English version, then of course all the names are as Tolkien either invented them or (rarely) borrowed them. I know that for the Spanish version Tolkien picked the names to reflect the same character as the English names, but I have no idea about any Portuegese versions.
 
Originally posted by aragil
Actually, I think Rohirric was simply based on old English.

Not only was the language of Rohan based on Saxon English, It is Saxon English with a Northhumbrian dialect.

but the though is the same Agagil. good job.

Welcome aboard Caesar. Enjoy your cruise on this ship of fools.

RD
 
Linguist David Salo on the Old English names:

"Many of these names differ from the form they would have in West Saxon, the standard dialect of Old English; this may be due to deliberate Anglicization, or to being drawn from the Mercian rather than the West Saxon dialect." David Salo

Smeagol posted: Quenya is the most ancient language of the Elves that in the time of LOTR is only spoken in Valinor beyond the sea.

Well, you probably don't mean that Quenya was never used in Middle-earth, but to generally add, Quenya had indeed become an "Elf-latin", still used for ceremony, and for high matters of lore and song ~ even Frodo gave it a go with Gildor for example.
 
Originally posted by Smeagol
After the Eldar had left Middle-earth for Aman, the language of the remaining Elves developed differently from the Quenya in Valinor and became the Sindarin of Beleriand ... (snip)

So indeed, it seems you did not mean "never used" :)

Smeagol posted: "When the Noldor returned to Beleriand they re-imported Quenya into Middle-earth. But as soon as King Thingol learned of the kinslaying at Alqualondë, he abolished the use of Quenya (or its Noldorin dialect) in Beleriand, so even the Noldor were forced to use Sindarin in their daily life."

I would just add to that that the Noldor were starting to use Sindarin for communication purposes of course: "the Noldor...learned swiftly the speech of Beleriand, whereas the Sindar were slow to master the tongue of Valinor". Twenty years after the coming of the Noldor to Middle-earth, "the tongue of the Grey-elves was most spoken even by the Noldor".

Smeagol posted: "A more interesting point his how Fëanor could name Melkor "Morgoth" (Sindarin) when he had not yet set foot upon Middle-earth and never actually used the language of Beleriand."

Note the footnote to "The Later Quenta Silmarillion": wherein it is added when Fëanor cursed Melkor naming him Morgoth ~ in the ancient form used by Fëanor it was Moriñgotho ~ cf. Moringotto
 
Indeed distinguishing X is fine and welcomed.

I am not in the habit (for example) of using Exilic Quenya when that is what I really mean. I'll have to watch my nomenclature perhaps :) Cheers.
 
In fact most names, places,languages etc come from old languages which are dead now.Tolkien knew Anglo-Saxon,language spoken from old Germanic tribes and many others old languages which are not spoken nowadays.That's the base of most names and language described in Tolkien's books.
 
Aragil

Aragil - I read The Lord of the Rings in portuguese. well, it exists. I do not like the way they translate the names, for example, Rivendell is translated to Valfenda. I would like that the names were the same.

People, thanks for all the explanations. I am glad about it. =)

Hugs,
Cesar.
 
Hi guys!
I'm also new when it comes to Tolkien...
Very interesting thread about languages...
But none of you mentioned that Tolkien used Finish language to create Quenya... I have a friend who is Fin, and I listened to their language...
It's Quenya all right!!! And they also have these specific "rolling" Rs... You can hear them in the film... Like, the way they pronounce "Mordor"...
Now, I'm sorry if I wrote something in a wrong way, I'm not that good in English...:)
 

Similar threads

Back
Top