• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Names of places in Middleearth

Z

zeeb

Guest
My brother is ship navigator, and on a recent trip across the Atlantic he noticed names from Middleearth on the maps.

Alot of undersea mountain west of Ireland had names from Tolkiens universe: Rohan, Gondor, Fangorn, Eriador, Lorien and others...

Now, the big discussion on the ship is which came first; did Tolkien get his names from a seamap, did the people who named the mountains used Tolkiens idears or are the both from some third source - like Irish mythology etc.

If anyone could help me on this I'd really apriciate it...:)

Zeeb Stennek
 
Yeah... A bunch of Tolkien fans with political power probly did that. I should move to Ireland... or whereever this is...
 
I always found Turin a very Tolkienic name.. ;) ALthough I prefer the Italian, Torino. Helps from getting confused.
 
Thanks for the answers, I hope they'll get the crew off my back ;)
 

Similar threads

Back
Top