Coelacanth
New Member
- Joined
- Aug 14, 2026
- Messages
- 2
I'm not sure how I missed this for so long, but I had read the Lord of the Rings, the Silmarillion, and even Unfinished Tales multiple times, and it wasn't until I started reading the History of Middle Earth that I realized that the setting of the Silmarillion was a seperate place from the rest of Middle Earth. I guess when I read about the drowning of Beleriand, and maybe even the changes that took place after the downfall of Numenor, I suppose I just thought that those events were meant to explain why the land looked different in later times. Even the migration of the elves I misunderstood as them coming from a foreign land into the regions of Middle Earth i was familiar with. I completely missed the fact that they crossed over the Misty Mountains and through Eriador and over Ered Luin in order to get to Beleriand. When i was reading the History of Middle Earth and Christopher Tolkien started talking about how Beleriand and the East of Middle Earth that I knew were seperate places in a casual way as something that was already evident, my mind was blown lol. I hadn't ever really studied the maps too closely, which may partly explain how I missed it, as well as changes in names like Ered Lindon becoming Ered Luin, but after I learned about it i was amazed to see how the west edge of the third age map coincided with the east edge of the map of Beleriand. I was curious if I'm the only one who completely missed this detail. Also, I'm posting this so that if anyone did miss this fact for any length of time, don't feel bad, you can know that you're not alone in it, and I'm pretty confident that it flew over my head far longer than for anyone else lol.
