• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

No Scouring of The Shire? + Intro

Goldberry833

New Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2003
Messages
22
I read in another post that that would be left out?

So is the shire just going to be happy and fine when they get back?



Oh, yeah.....
Hi! New to this forum....
Am fourteen and got started on LOTR when my dad read it to me in 1st grade....
Am starting to be more +more of a purist as I read these posts in several different forums; Things Tolkien didn't even write (Elves at Helm's Deep) Stupid jokes + lines(Which I actually hated from the beginning but as people mention them, I see that all of them are Gimli's and what kind of junk is that!? Sorry. Maybe I am just sensitive about the height jokes as I am really short.)Just plain errors in the movie, and PJ really missing alot of the nuances from JRRT's original.
 
Welcome to the forum, Goldberry833!

As for the Scouring of the Shire, it will be left out. I listened to an interview with PJ and he made a statement that left no doubt in my mind that that beloved part of the story was history. :(

Of course this makes me very sad because I wonder now how he will end Sauruman? Some say that he will be killed with a spike, but I hope that is not true.

I do understand how, for a movie, the scene in question would not do well. It is quite anti-clamatic and (in the big picture) has nothing to do with the main story. Don't get me wrong. I was devistated when I found out. But PJ is a Tolkien fan himself and I think he is trying... he has done a pretty good job so far in my oppinion.

-me
 
How will he even do that???

The Shire being all bad was really important! Now its just going to be a happy fantasy corny fairy tale ending...

I thought the ending was great + added alot of realism to the story:( :( :(
 
The entire scene is kind of ironic. The hobbits saved the world but returned home to find they didn't save there own. And the part where Saruman tries to backstab Frodo is hilarious.
 
I think the Scouring of the Shire is one of the most important chapters of the whole book, and I really do not like the fact that it wil be left out. However, I understand that maybe it would not work in a movie which is made not only for LOTR fans but also for the 'general public'. Still I don't like it:mad:
 
Again, the reason SoSh was elminated was simply that the focus of the story had been changed from hobbits (as per Tolkien) to men. Hence the need for an enlarged part for Arwen and the development (overdevelopment) of the Aragorn/Arwen love story. The hobbits became merely interesting characters who were part of the Fellowship. Their inclusion was necessary not only because the audience would expect hobbits, but because they added to the fantasy flavor of the films, much as did the troll and the ents. But there was no focus on the hobbits as a race; they were merely portrayed as sort of big-footed little people.

Therefore, when the focus is removed from them, then the Scouring becomes indeed an anti-climax. Who cares after all what happened in Hobbiton and the Shire? Who wants to see their "mini-battle" when it wouldn't contain a single orc or other c.g. masterpiece? The fact that it was deeply expressive of the meaning of the story is, of course, beside the point - especially considering the fact that Jackson was not much concerned with the meaning of the original story in the first place. It was merely a point of departure for him, a thing upon which to "hang his cinematic hat", so to speak.

No, I fear whatever focus devolves upon the hobbits in these films will be limited to the four who took part in the Fellowship and for that reason alone rather than their race.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top