• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Not by the hands of men

Anamatar IV

Anabadger
Joined
Aug 15, 2002
Messages
3,825
Glorfindel prophecied that not by the hands of men would the witch-king perish. Does this mean not by the hands of the race of men or not by the hands of the gender of men?

This obviously would end the question who killed the witch king since merry is a man-man and EOwyn a man-woman...

I am leaning towards man as in gender...other wise an elf could have sticken down the w. king. But I could be wrong.:)
 
Ahhh... Here it comes, the hated translation error in the Swedish edition, After reading the LotR 13 times, I still thought it was Merry who struck down the chief Nazgûl, this because Åke Ojlmarks had made an error in his otherwise splendid translation. It said that it was Merry that with his last strength thrust his sword into the wizardking's head! Then I read it in English and got it straightened up. He was slain by Eowyn and the prophecy was made referring to gender.

Húrin Thalion
 
That's atrocious that a translator could have been so far off as Åke Ojlmarks was. He must have been a sexist and couldn't abide the correct intent. (Ranting required)
 
Well I would consider Hobbits of the race of men...notice how they are called "The little people" and men are called by them "the big people". Hobbits dont call elves the big people and men dont call Dwarves the little people.
 
In Bree the men and hobbits call eachother the big people and the little people. People does not mean men.
Dwarves, elves and I would say even ents are all people. But none are men... so why should a hobbit be just because some hobbit-like men in bree call them little people.
 
OK, I am going against the crowd and saying it did not mean gender. Whenever Tolkien says "the hands of men" I don't think he was talking about gender. When he says "men" he 99% of the time is referring to the species or race of men.I think if he meant gender then tolkien would have had glorfindel say "not by the hands of a man" not "not by the hands of men." I think that either Glorfindel was wrong or Tolkien intended to have had Merry kill the witch king.
 
But after the fact we can look back and see that Glorfindel ment the gender and as I said in my first post I think this ment the gender of the race of....
Why do I think it ment race too? Merry the hobbit.

I think his prophecy was a riddle... everyone would assume he just ment race... but he didn't, that is plain now.
 
Remember that Glorfindel is not just an ordinary Elf. he had foresight. I don't regard his saying as just a prophecy, but that it was something that he "saw" in the future. He "saw" that the Witch-king was killed by Eowyn and Merry, therefore his words 'not by men.'
 
Is it ever written that he 'saw' Ewoyn and Merry? I doubt this.
There can be other possibilites too, for example it could just have dawned upon him that the Witch King would die not by a Man's hand. IMO he didn't necessarily see 'Ewoyn and Merry', only the point that the witch king won't be slain by a Man dawned onto him.
 
I don't believe it was foresight in that he saw Eowyn and Merry specifically. . .I think he just saw it wasn't a man.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top