But the Numénoreans, didn't they just say, "it is time for me", handing their sons the sceptre, going to bed and when they awoke the next day they were dead...
Nah not necessarily. It is only Elessar that has expressly being stated as following that practice.
King Meneldur, father of Tar-Aldarion relinquished the crown to his son and live a fair deal still after Tar-Aldarion became the King.
It was only after the thirteenth King that the rulers started clinging to their crown and not giving up kingship readily before their death.
I
Is laying down and dying committing suicide? I had thought it would take more action to actually commit suicide. A knife, water, rope. Something like that.
In a way, in Tolkien's legendirum it doesn't necessary take, specially for the elves, to use any physical methods of killing themselves. I believe Miriel commited a type of sucide too, her Fea left her hroa and techincally she wasn't exactly alive.


