• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Old, Valuable TTF Threads

Erestor Arcamen

Assistant to the forum owner
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
7,857
Have you ever browsed the TTF Archives? I've recently been spending more time there. Not because our present and ongoing discussions are no good but because these are full of some of the most thought-provoking, knowledgeable discussions that TTF has ever had. For example, I found a fascinating post about whether the Ring can think or not. Another that I found was about Saruman's Military Intelligence (if he had any), and yet another about Aragorn at the breaking of the Fellowship (this monster's 22 pages long o_O ).

These are just a few of the countless, amazing threads and discussions that are sitting right here on TTF that I'm sure many people may not know about.

"So what's the point EA? You're proud of TTF, so what? What do you want from us?"

Great question TTF Member! My point is, a lot of people don't know about or don't spend time reading through the archives. There is so much knowledge down there that hasn't been touched or read in such a long time, they're just collecting digital dust. So I'm asking you members, what do you think we should do?

Should we leave them as-is and let people browse on their own, if they do?

Should we setup a read-only section of the forum, like a TTF Museum, where the mods can move old threads that are no longer being discussed, so that anyone can browse them. I understand the archives can be browsed, but they're all the way down at the bottom of the page, which to me makes sense. But this "museum" would be for any threads that are X years old or inactive and would be somewhere higher like maybe under Entmoot or something, so that it stands out more. The benefit here would be preserving the original discussion so that members can see what was decided. Maybe the thread will spark something in its reader to make their own thread that's similar?

Should we leave them as-is, like we do now, and members can ask a mod to move it back to active discussion if you have something you whish to post?

I'm opening this up more for just suggestions and ideas. Unlike threads you'd find on a tech-help forum for someone asking for help on their PC and then never coming back, these threads on TTF are still relevant to Tolkien's works. So in my opinion, we should do something to get these older discussions noticed again. Does that make sense?

Outside of just reading the threads I've linked here, go back 10+ pages sometime even in the active forums like The Silmarillion, etc. There are some true gems even there that haven't been touched in a while. Feel free to necromance old threads if you find something interesting. Fresh voices and ideas are always welcome at TTF. Let me know what you think!
 
Sir EA: As you know, this Ent is here because he's all about 'learning,' being decades behind everyone else in what he knows about Tolkien and his works.

SO: in my mind, as long as the 'threads' ending up in a "TTF Museum" are threads of VALUE - that is, educational, well handled threads on Tolkien/Tolkien Works related stuff, this could help shorten my research time and learning curve, I personally find digging around in the Archives slow and difficult at times, trying to find 'the good stuff'. I'd be more than 'all for it' in such a case.

If we found a thread we wanted to 'move there', I'd suggest it should be 'locked' so further comments "on the Museum thread" couldn't be made, to keep the knowledge value of the thread intact and protect against... oh... derailing or other such things.

People could set up new threads with questions that spin off the Museum Threads, for further discussion.
or possibly even 'Discussion threads" like those for the RedBook items.

A Museum could not only preserve and make available the extensive knowledge we have from years past, but might encourage more current participation too.

What does anybody else think?
 
... protect against... oh... derailing or other such things.

Derailing? On Tolkien Forums? Nahhh.... Never happens... 🤣

My thoughts on this subject is pretty much what old man tree is saying. Move the threads that have content to a 'museum' and lock them, and if anyone wants to discuss the topic or add to the discussion, they can start a new thread referencing the archived museum thread. It does sound like a lot of work to go through them though.
 
somewhere higher like maybe under Entmoot or something, so that it stands out more
Nay! It must have its own unique subforum, and it shall be called:
7s6gs1.jpg
 
It does sound like a lot of work to go through them though.
No doubt. And no doubt it will take time, start small, and be added to regularly.
Probably could use suggestions from our members if and as they bump into a thread they feel belongs in the Crypt.

But hey... we get paid handsomly for thinking these things up and doing them.
(This idea is all EA's... maybe we'll leave all the work to him too... (like we do everything else)). 😁
 
Yup I like the idea of preserving the ancient texts. I’m thinking of adding prefixes for them so if a thread is Silmarillion, etc. it’d have said term as a prefix. And I think the only ones I’d add for now are those already frozen in the archives. If it’s a thread that’s still in the active forums then it’s fair game to respond and open up to, unless anyone has an objection. I’m fully open to member input on this as well. This isn’t my forum, it’s OURS and I want to do what’s best for all of us.
 
I’m thinking of adding prefixes for them so if a thread is Silmarillion, etc

All your ideas about this are terrific* and I'll help dig around, and with any reviewing as needed to decide if some Crypt item is 'worthy of being opened.'.

Regarding the 'prefixes' there will no doubt be some threads not 'specific' to one Book or Age or such - especially if they are of a 'topical' nature.
Could end up with a lotta prefixes.
I wish you 'good thinking' on the issue.
 
All your ideas about this are terrific* and I'll help dig around, and with any reviewing as needed to decide if some Crypt item is 'worthy of being opened.'.

Regarding the 'prefixes' there will no doubt be some threads not 'specific' to one Book or Age or such - especially if they are of a 'topical' nature.
Could end up with a lotta prefixes.
I wish you 'good thinking' on the issue.
Terrific is a strong word. I’m sure someone smarter than me could do it better.

And I agree, maybe they’ll be a little less specific, we’ll see what turns out.
 
I considered proposing calling it 'threads of the dead', but that's gloomy and depressing...
It would be like The Paths Of The Dead. Which isn't at all gloomy or depressing.
 
Last edited:

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top