Sorry, GW, I didn't mean to be insulting you. I'm gloriously cranky today (cold. blah) so you're getting the snarkier end of the scale. You see, I have this crippling misconception that I'm clever or something...I forget that not everyone is used to just rolling their eyes and ignoring me. Though if you say I need practice...are you volunteering to serve as a target?
I do think that it's possible for troops in formation to back up. Not very fast, maybe, and not for very far, but it is possible. I don't really see the necessity, though. I was just pointing out the possibility.
I'm glad to say that the professional reviewers, and indeed the vast majority of viewers didn't find it so.
It's great that so many other people were able to enjoy the film and weren't put off by the things that bothered me, but if I ever reach the point where I think something just because a bunch of other people thought so, please just shoot me and put me out of my misery...
I'm just sayin'.
Charging outward increases the circumference of the circle, thereby allowing more
men to the front lines, with some still as backup.
But my point is that you do not
want that. In that kind of formation you want your front line to be as small as possible, because the smaller your front line is, the fewer the number of enemies that can get at you at a time is. You want to keep the formation as compact as possible. If you spread out, the enemy could go between your lines and penetrate the formation, breaking your forces up. It's easier to pick off a few guys over here and a few guys over there than it is to run up against a solid wall.
By that point in the movie you were so bitter that anything you saw would be considered a 'silly stunt.'
Quite possibly. I freely admit that I'm very bitter about the whole thing, because I withheld judgement after TTT, hoping that RotK would fix everything, and it didn't. Nope nope nope. And I do not like Jackson's battle scenes, as a rule. I'm annoyed that he took up
precious time adding stuff instead of using the material already available in the book. I'm easily irritated. And it does tend to come seeping out. I'm really not trying to ruin other people's enjoyment of the film- well, maybe on some level I am, but I don't particularly expect to have any effect, it just entertains me to be snarky. I find my own commentaries vastly amusing. I don't think they're worth getting mad over, though...so please do feel free to hit me with a rubber chicken and tell me to shut up when the acid I'm dripping starts burning holes in things.
But before you do, let me outline what I mean about the tactics. It's fun, and I don't really think my point is made illegitimate by the fact that I'm bitter about the movie overall. By the way, have a cookie.
Aragorn's objective is to hold the enemy's attention. Agreed? Good. His objective is not to go out in a blaze of kamikaze glory. Do we still agree? Okay.
What's the best way to carry out this objective? Not by charging a superior force, that wouldn't do much good. Not by everybody getting killed, that wouldn't work either. He needs to keep the enemy occupied
for as long as possible, right? Still with me? So he wants to delay being run over, ground into the dirt, or retreating as long as possible. The best way to accomplish all this is to dig in his heels and hold his ground. Right? Good? Okay. He wants to keep his forces together, so that the bad guys can't pick them off when they get seperated. He needs to have a defensible position to work from. Oh goody, there are these handy hill things over here, those'll work. Everyone knows that it is an advantage to hold the higher ground and make the other guys climb upwards to get at you, right? And if there's marshy ground around it's even better, because they have to slog through it to climb up the hill to get at you
and you get to stand on solid ground. Whee, isn't this great?
So now we're on the hill. It's kind of a small hill, so this group will go over to that hill, because we don't want anyone standing in any marshy ground, right? The idea is to avoid the marshy ground, after all. So we're all set up on the hill. Whee, look at the view. This is nice. So we have the high ground, we have solid footing, things are looking good for us, except for that little problem of there being lots more of them than we have. We've established that it's a bad idea to spread your forces out because it makes it easier for the enemy to whack you one. And we don't want the bad guys penetrating into our inner ranks of reserves. And we can't be pushed back, because we're in a pretty little circle so we have nowhere to go. So we want a good, solid, tight front line. Foot soldiers usually use shorter
swords, after all, and are used to being in formation with a shield partner on their right. You lock that line in so that the big ugly slobbering things can't come at you more than a few at a time, and you keep your forces in ranks so that when Joe in the front gets spitted, Frank behind him can step up and take his place so that the bad guys don't break through the line. And even better, we'll stick some nice sharp spears out there so that they'll think twice about charging up after us after they've gotten through the wet ground and gone up the hill.
So we're all set up on the hill, and we can just camp out for a while, because we ain't going nowhere, and it's going to take them a while to hack their way through all of us. There are more of them, but they can't all come at us at once, because we have a small front line. They can bulldoze over us because we're on a hill and we have pretty spears and we're in a tight little block. Their only choice is to come after us and try to wear us down.
So, in the book you're aware that all this is going on, or at least you're vaguely aware that something to that effect is going on.
In the movie, it just looks...strange. Especially when everyone is standing there with blank, idiotic expressions on their faces, staring after Aragorn who has just gone running off whooping. And, oops, there go those short people, maybe we'd better go after them?
Of course, I'm a cantankerous female. That's my opinion on the battle scene, take it or leave it. Lots of action movies in the past have proved that you don't need good tactics to have a battle and get away with it.