simbelmyne
Member
- Joined
- Mar 2, 2003
- Messages
- 322
simbelmyne said:All that was missing was the "Chariots of Fire" theme song and a row of guys wearing bandanas to slap the hand of the Olympic Orc as he passed. Not to mention the torch looked like an oversized sparkler...
I just read Rhi's post...coincidence that two people seperately thought of "Chariots of Fire"? I think not!
Do you believe that sand provides grip?!
Have you thought of the effect that would rebound from that force when it met the wall of pikes at the bottom?
Rhiannon said:Morgaphry, that is bad tactics. The reality of such a charge would be that the entire first rank of horses would go down on the pikes, either crushing or throwing their riders, who would be trampled by the second rank, who would be pushed into the second rank of pikes by the third rank of horses behind them, and so on...massive loss of life without gaining much ground, and an extremely bad move.
Rhiannon said:But Peter Jackson has displayed a lack of tactical knowledge more than once in his films--yes, let's all go up to the Black Gate and stand in a little huddle (after we all get off horseback, don't want to have too much advantage against the wee orclings, do we?), and let the enemy walk out and surround us. Oh yes, that's just brilliant.
Rhiannon said:But Peter Jackson has displayed a lack of tactical knowledge more than once in his films--yes, let's all go up to the Black Gate and stand in a little huddle
Little time was left to Aragorn for the ordering of his battle. Upon the one hill he stood with Gandalf, and there fair and desperate was raised the banner of the Trees and Stars. Upon the other hill hard by stood the banners of Rohan and Dol Amroth, White Horse and Silver Swan. And about each hill a ring was made facing all ways, bristling with spear and sword. ...
(from The Black Gate Opens in ROTK)
Well, duh.Ol'gaffer said:Rhiannon, you're clearly being biast towards the book. Ofcourse it wasn't bad tactics because Tolkien wrote it! It was only bad tactics when Jackson did it.
Big difference, darling; the situation in the book is reasonable. It makes sense. The film takes the situation and changes it so that it becomes unreasonable and looks like a silly stunt.They're both exactly alike, theres only a small difference, but still you complain about the movie being bad. That's just silly.
Since the film showed them on level ground, with no high ground to give them an advantage, then it would have been a better move to spread out, I think. And even if he did have to fall back, that wouldn't involve turning their back to the enemy- or did you never learn to walk backwards? Getting in a circular position and charging outward when the enemy came closer is also ridiculous. The point of forming that kind of formation is to stay put. If you're going to get in a little huddle, then the idea is to be immovable and make them come to you.You said that in the film Aragorn should never have let himself be surrounded (although this was alright in the book). In order to avoid being totally closed in, Aragorn would have had to fall back. This involves turning around, thereby exposing their backs to the enemy. Instead, they formed in a circular manner, charging outward when the enemy came closer.
I'm glad to say that the professional reviewers, and indeed the vast majority of viewers didn't find it so.Rhiannon said:Big difference, darling; the situation in the book is reasonable. It makes sense. The film takes the situation and changes it so that it becomes unreasonable and looks like a silly stunt.
I think not.Since the film showed them on level ground, with no high ground to give them an advantage, then it would have been a better move to spread out, I think.
You seriously think several thousand men walking backwards would prevent a running army of orcs from surrounding them?And even if he did have to fall back, that wouldn't involve turning their back to the enemy- or did you never learn to walk backwards?
Charging outward increases the circumference of the circle, thereby allowing more men to the front lines, with some still as backup.Getting in a circular position and charging outward when the enemy came closer is also ridiculous. The point of forming that kind of formation is to stay put. If you're going to get in a little huddle, then the idea is to be immovable and make them come to you.
All IYHO...The sequence seemed to me to be poorly thought out, and poorly edited (where did the horses go?).
It's great that so many other people were able to enjoy the film and weren't put off by the things that bothered me, but if I ever reach the point where I think something just because a bunch of other people thought so, please just shoot me and put me out of my misery...I'm glad to say that the professional reviewers, and indeed the vast majority of viewers didn't find it so.
But my point is that you do not want that. In that kind of formation you want your front line to be as small as possible, because the smaller your front line is, the fewer the number of enemies that can get at you at a time is. You want to keep the formation as compact as possible. If you spread out, the enemy could go between your lines and penetrate the formation, breaking your forces up. It's easier to pick off a few guys over here and a few guys over there than it is to run up against a solid wall.Charging outward increases the circumference of the circle, thereby allowing more men to the front lines, with some still as backup.
Quite possibly. I freely admit that I'm very bitter about the whole thing, because I withheld judgement after TTT, hoping that RotK would fix everything, and it didn't. Nope nope nope. And I do not like Jackson's battle scenes, as a rule. I'm annoyed that he took up precious time adding stuff instead of using the material already available in the book. I'm easily irritated. And it does tend to come seeping out. I'm really not trying to ruin other people's enjoyment of the film- well, maybe on some level I am, but I don't particularly expect to have any effect, it just entertains me to be snarky. I find my own commentaries vastly amusing. I don't think they're worth getting mad over, though...so please do feel free to hit me with a rubber chicken and tell me to shut up when the acid I'm dripping starts burning holes in things.By that point in the movie you were so bitter that anything you saw would be considered a 'silly stunt.'
Gandalf White said:
Great minds mess up alike.
Oooh, GW, watch out now! You've made the girls mad! I'm sitting over here with Simbelmyne. Cookie?simbelmyne said:Sorry to say, GW, there is more than one smart lady out there who disagrees with you...
Not entirely.Rhiannon said:His objective is not to go out in a blaze of kamikaze glory. Do we still agree?
Sure sounds pretty suicidal to me!'We must walk open-eyed into that trap, with courage, but small hope for ourselves. For, my lords, it may well prove that we ourselves shall perish utterly in a black battle far from the living lands; so that even if Barad-dur be thrown down, we shall not live to see a new age. But this, I deem, is our duty. And better so then to perish nonetheless -- as we surely shall, if we sit here -- and know as we die that no new age shall be.'
"Who said life is fair? Where is that written?"You are attacking PJ for following Tolkien's story line. This is hardly fair.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?