- Joined
- Jun 28, 2022
- Messages
- 5,006
INTRODUCTION:
Elessar tapped quietly at the open door. Pippin, sitting deep in thought, missed it. He tapped again, just a little louder.
âYes what is it?â Pippin asked, looking up. âOh Aragorn, do come in, Iâm sorryâ he said, standing up. âAnd now I must apologize again. I should really call you Elessar.â His voice and attention trailed off.
âYou need apologize for nothing Pippin, nor stand up for me. Sit down, please.â said the King, entering. âOld habits and old friendships die hard. And thatâs really what Iâve come about, though I struggled about coming at all. But I do want to check in on you and ask how you are getting on.â
Pippin sat, and after a pause stirred in his chair. âYes, yes, donât concern yourself about coming. A little company is probably better than sitting here brooding. Do sit down yourselfâ He pointed to his second chair.
Elessar took the seat and waited quietly, looking fondly but with concern at the hobbit. âWell?â he said after a time, pulling Pippin back from his musing again.
âWell, what?â Pippin asked.
âHow are you getting on?â
âWell, Merryâs gone nowâ Pippin responded after a pause, finality in his tone, a hint of a tear forming in his eyes.
âYes?â Elessar said, waiting. Nothing more forthcoming, he continued: âPippin, friends are hard to lose; the closer the friend the harder. There have been few friendships in any age of this world as close as yours with Merry. Please do forgive me but I feel compelled to ask again: how are you getting on? Youâve been hidden away here three days now. Iâm not the only one concerned.â
Pippin stared at him briefly, then leaning closer, said âStrider, Iâve given a good deal of thought to whatâs nextâŚhow I should be âgetting onâ as you say.â Strength grew in his voice. âIâll be honest with you, however strange this may sound. Here is what I think.â He stood; paced slowly.
âThereâs too much misunderstood,â he said. âToo many things not made clear. Too much of the road Iâve taken, often with Merry, you and the others, and too much youâve been doing, not told properly, or told yet at all. Some of it is wonderful. But some of it, especially some more recent things, donât bode well at allâcertainly not for the future, as I see it.â He stopped and faced the King.
âBut If it isnât written downâif it doesnât get put in order and sent out soonâif things donât get knownâthey most likely never will be, and I donât think thatâs a good thing. What I think about my âgetting on,â AragornâŚâ he paused, eyes boring into Aragornâs half defiantly, ââŚis I need to be writing. Writing what should not be missed or lost and needs to be said. People need to know. They need to know more about what was, and be prepared for whatâs coming.â
He stood up straight, crossed his arms and took a breath. âSo what do you think of that, for how Iâm going to be âgetting onâ? I donât have many years left myself. This needs to be done!â
Elessar had straightened, tensing a little when Pippin stood, but now settled back slowly, relaxing, thinking. A hint of a smile played across his face, then broadened. âPeregrin Took,â he said. âIt sounds like you are expecting an argument. But none will be coming from me.â
Elessar tapped quietly at the open door. Pippin, sitting deep in thought, missed it. He tapped again, just a little louder.
âYes what is it?â Pippin asked, looking up. âOh Aragorn, do come in, Iâm sorryâ he said, standing up. âAnd now I must apologize again. I should really call you Elessar.â His voice and attention trailed off.
âYou need apologize for nothing Pippin, nor stand up for me. Sit down, please.â said the King, entering. âOld habits and old friendships die hard. And thatâs really what Iâve come about, though I struggled about coming at all. But I do want to check in on you and ask how you are getting on.â
Pippin sat, and after a pause stirred in his chair. âYes, yes, donât concern yourself about coming. A little company is probably better than sitting here brooding. Do sit down yourselfâ He pointed to his second chair.
Elessar took the seat and waited quietly, looking fondly but with concern at the hobbit. âWell?â he said after a time, pulling Pippin back from his musing again.
âWell, what?â Pippin asked.
âHow are you getting on?â
âWell, Merryâs gone nowâ Pippin responded after a pause, finality in his tone, a hint of a tear forming in his eyes.
âYes?â Elessar said, waiting. Nothing more forthcoming, he continued: âPippin, friends are hard to lose; the closer the friend the harder. There have been few friendships in any age of this world as close as yours with Merry. Please do forgive me but I feel compelled to ask again: how are you getting on? Youâve been hidden away here three days now. Iâm not the only one concerned.â
Pippin stared at him briefly, then leaning closer, said âStrider, Iâve given a good deal of thought to whatâs nextâŚhow I should be âgetting onâ as you say.â Strength grew in his voice. âIâll be honest with you, however strange this may sound. Here is what I think.â He stood; paced slowly.
âThereâs too much misunderstood,â he said. âToo many things not made clear. Too much of the road Iâve taken, often with Merry, you and the others, and too much youâve been doing, not told properly, or told yet at all. Some of it is wonderful. But some of it, especially some more recent things, donât bode well at allâcertainly not for the future, as I see it.â He stopped and faced the King.
âBut If it isnât written downâif it doesnât get put in order and sent out soonâif things donât get knownâthey most likely never will be, and I donât think thatâs a good thing. What I think about my âgetting on,â AragornâŚâ he paused, eyes boring into Aragornâs half defiantly, ââŚis I need to be writing. Writing what should not be missed or lost and needs to be said. People need to know. They need to know more about what was, and be prepared for whatâs coming.â
He stood up straight, crossed his arms and took a breath. âSo what do you think of that, for how Iâm going to be âgetting onâ? I donât have many years left myself. This needs to be done!â
Elessar had straightened, tensing a little when Pippin stood, but now settled back slowly, relaxing, thinking. A hint of a smile played across his face, then broadened. âPeregrin Took,â he said. âIt sounds like you are expecting an argument. But none will be coming from me.â
Last edited:


