• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

prosody in poems and riddles

frenchteacher

New Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
25
Hello,
I need you. I am not an expert in English poetry? I know better French prosody.
Could you explain to me the rythm used in the riddles (chapter 5) ?
Does Tolkien use iamb, trochee, spondee, dactyl and anapest ?
Thanks

French Teacher
 
If I'm not mistaken, Tolkien's 'prose' was in a style known as 'Alliterative Accentual Verse,' which is basically the style of poetry found during the 'Old' to 'Middle English' periods. Works such as "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight," and "Beowulf" (both translated by Tolkien) use this style of poetry.

When two or more words in a line start with the same sound, that's known as 'Alliteration.'

Alliterative poetry, is based on how the each word in the poem begins, not so much on the use of rhyme or syllables.

I could be wrong, so let's see if our more poetically inclined members can shed some light on this topic.
 
Sorry, no, not me. I'm as thick as two short planks when it comes to labelling types of poetry or prose.
 
Ooooo...you know French? Well, my great grandfather was french. My last name is Bebout (Bibeau in French). Anyway, I can't help you too much with the rythms and riddles.
 
The metre and rhyming varies from riddle to riddle. It could be these variations that confused Gollum into allowing Bilbo's non-riddle question at the end.
 
I'm not sure there is a consistent rythm. I should expect it was simply free verse. *shrugs* I don't know.

Fir-
 
Eledhwen said:
The metre and rhyming varies from riddle to riddle. It could be these variations that confused Gollum into allowing Bilbo's non-riddle question at the end.

Exactly, both Biblo and Gollum's rhyming metre change for each riddle they say. Gollumn's first metre is fashioned after A-A-B-B, Bilbo's is A-B-B-A. Gollumn's second metre is A-B-A-B where as Bilbo's is A-A-B-B-C-C, and so forth. But I'm not sure if there is anything else to the riddles then that...sorry, I'm not that good with rhymes and riddles either...
 
Hello,
I need you. I am not an expert in English poetry? I know better French prosody.
Could you explain to me the rythm used in the riddles (chapter 5) ?
Does Tolkien use iamb, trochee, spondee, dactyl and anapest ?
Thanks

French Teacher


Tolkiens influences were Beowulf and Sir Gawain the Green knight, Tolkien translated both and he was a scholar on language so he used his extensive knowledge of language to write the poems and riddles in his tales. It was this knowledge that inspired the languages of his races in LOTR's and The Hobbit.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top