Mrs. Maggott said:
Remember, I was responding to Ole
gaffer's post which
did include the word "bashing" with reference to criticism of the films.
Yes, but also remember that Ol'gaffer's post shouldn't have been there in the first place. The reason I asked non-purists not to respond was to avoid a 'back and forth'. It's always one post like that which starts the whole thing up again. So, for future reference, if another non-purist posts something insulting like Ol'gaffer just did, then please ignore them entirely. And I'll request that a mod just simply removes their post. Please don't respond to their insult and create a war zone out of this thread.
To get back on topic, I wrote earlier that I would post my ideas on how the movie might remain accurate.
I would like to think that in the end, PJ did genuinely increase
Tolkien readership whether that was his major goal or not. Also, I am sure that PJ has for the present stolen all of the public's appetite for a Lord of the Rings movie. However, there is the expiry of the copyrights in 2023. These will no doubt be surrounded by a whole bunch of hype.
At first, I dreaded this day. Seeing how unhappy the movies that PJ filmed made me, I was convinced that there will be a whole new load of bad Lord of the Rings movies made right after the copyrights expired. I am still convinced of this. I am also convinced that the expiry of the copyright is the only chance for a true to the
books movie to be made.
With the rights tied up in Hollywood, only people in Hollywood can create such a movie. When the copyrights expire, everyone and their dog can film a Tolkien movie, no matter what their affiliation. I have no hope in Hollywood creating an accurate Lord of the Rings movie. I think it is nearly a requirement for the person who films the movies to be unaffiliated, or only very loosely affiliated with Hollywood. The expiry of the copyrights allows this.
To create a movie that could actually compete with PJs version, you'd need to really prioritize certain things. For example, visuals are nearly unimportant. To attempt to compete with PJs visuals is a waste of time. This was
the one thing that PJ did spectacularily. You can't ignore visuals, but putting anything more than basic visuals will be time and money wasted.
The main priorities for such a movie would be accuracy in acting. PJ also picked most of his characters so they looked the part, spending too much time concerned with how your actors 'look' is also a waste. But, you need to concentrate on how well they will 'act' out the parts of their characters. One thing that always bugged me was the fact that Viggo Mortissen had never read the books when he was called up to try out for the movies. I think that had he read the books (including
the Silmarillion), before becoming in any way involved in the movies, he would have probably have spoken out against some of the changes PJ made to the character of
Aragorn in the movies.
I think in order to get your actors to act out their parts well, and accurately, you'd need to do a few special things. Take the money you save from axeing a CGI squad into a few CGI specialists, and spend it all on educating your actors on the text. Pay them to spend the month it would take to immerse themselves in Tolkien's writing, with a special emphasis on the characters that they are playing. Have them read the books, read the Silmarillion, watch PJs movie, listen to the booktapes, debate various topics. All in an effort to create a set of actors with a very good understanding of the story.
Actors who have read the books, listened to the booktapes, seen PJs movie, and debated their own interpretations of their character with others would have a REAL appreciation for their character. That way, you would be spared the horrible task of making sure each actor knows how to portray their character accurately. They will be expected to do it themselves. Good actors enjoy that kind of a challenge. Maybe even pick a few actors for each role, and have them compete to understand their character better. This I see as the most difficult and most integral portion of the filming process, given my approach.
I honestly think that PJs 'visual epic' style of handling
the Lord of the Rings drove the cost of the movies up. Spending a huge amount of time with actors would not drive the cost up as high, but would require much more effort on the part of cast and crew to spend the time 'understanding' what they were doing. It would take a crew that was genuinely cared for the books themselves. I honestly believe that such people do exist.
One thing that I have always maintained is that in order to be done right, you need to give the Lord of the Rings enough time to be made into film. This would make for a brutally long filming period. The less time wasted, the better. You need to have actors who know what to do without being told. I think 6 films of 3 hours each could actually be completed, if you had such a cast.
such things are really just fantasy in themselves. but i keep in mind that PJ also kept the idea of filming the Lord of the Rings in his fantasy for a long time. And in the end, he did get a chance to make it happen.