Mrs. Maggott
Home is where the cat is
- Joined
- Oct 2, 2002
- Messages
- 3,463
One man's meat, as they say, is another's poison. Many people loved these films because they gave "visual structure" to what before had been limted to the imagination. Frankly, even had Jackson been 100% faithful to Tolkien, his insistent images would still be a problem for those whose mental image of the book had been damaged by "real" images (if one can put it that way). The fact that he was less than faithful in the eyes of many, only serves to make those images more problematic.
I have yet to try to read the book since I have seen at least the first two films, but you're right. Not Frodo so much, but certainly Gandalf and even Aragorn are going to be hard to "recreate" in my mind. As Tolkien's Frodo is more mature than Mr. Wood, I won't have all that much trouble deleting that "image" from my mind.
Good luck!

I have yet to try to read the book since I have seen at least the first two films, but you're right. Not Frodo so much, but certainly Gandalf and even Aragorn are going to be hard to "recreate" in my mind. As Tolkien's Frodo is more mature than Mr. Wood, I won't have all that much trouble deleting that "image" from my mind.
Good luck!
