Greenwood said:
Thorin calling
Arwen in the movie blasphemy....I would say fits definition number 2 above.
....you went on about Jackson's competence as a director because
Saruman was not in ROTK....have you yet seen RTOK? Not having seen it certainly does not seem to give you pause in commenting about it.
My
God It Was Horrible (part III) thread. That statement is rather interesting since while looking up your posts I found that you had posted on that thread at least twice.
You post multiple times per day, almost always criticizing the movies, but you can't seem to remember the posts you make. I'll use that as an example of someone "driven crazy" by the movies.
I take it that means that you are far more interested in criticizing the movies for not being
Tolkien than you are in sharing your knowledge of Tolkien with readers who may have questions about the
books....
Finally, when I am challenged to give examples, I will try to give examples. When these examples are then ignored and statements are then made that I have failed to give examples (in my opinion implying that I cannot and that my statements are therefore suspect), I will respond. When I give an example and joxy says that he has never seen that thread and cannot find it on the forum, I think it perfectly fair to point out that he in fact posted on that thread.
I haven't seen much from Thorin, but if he really said that about blasphemy, I'd say the idea was "silly" rather than "strident".
If I comment on incompetence from PJ it is always in respect of some specific point which I refer to clearly. I'm far from considering him
generally or totally incompetent. It would be as ridiculous to suggest such a thing as it IS to suggest he is totally competent; we're all human; we all make mistakes sometimes - don't we? In this case the facts are known world-wide; there is absolutely no need to have seen the films to be know the facts and to comment on them. One day a major film is going to open with a brilliant dramatic scene, the confrontation with Saruman; the next day it isn't. I await a better description, and explanation, for that, than incompetence. As for the rest of ROTK, I comment only on features of it which have been reported here, as I have no reason to doubt that those who report them are being truthful and accurate about them. As Mrs M said, you don't have to go to Venus to be able to talk about it - to which she received what I consider a distinctly strident and un-called-for response.
When you referred to the MGIWH thread, in response to jallan, not to me, I looked for it, but it wasn't on the first two pages of the index. It is now low down on the second page. Certainly I've posted to it, but only when it was listed on the first page. I have better things to do than remember the
titles of all the threads.
I do make quite a lot of postings, though there are several with similar and higher totals over a shorter period. I try to make them brief and to the point, and apologise if they begin to get a bit too wordy. Those "criticisms" are what we are all here for, on one "side" or the other, so I make no apology for criticising. I do ask though that people consider the favourable comments that I also make, as I actually find the films extremely good,
"in parts", and say so, and I certainly don't have such a ridiculously strong emotion as being "driven crazy", by even their worst moments.
This is the only area of TTF that I use; that is my choice. "Criticism", which I prefer to call "consideration", is what interests me.
It is NOT all about the films not being Tolkien; I've made it very clear that I consider the strictly cinematic aspects too, and probably find their share of the "bad" parts of the curate's egg even larger than those of the adaptation aspect.
As you raised the matter of those three examples again, I have to reply again.
You did not give the examples to me; you gave them to jallan in response to his " If you make a claim, you should ready to provide backup for that claim. Who are these people setting themselves up as self-appointed guardians on either side other than people attempting to argue their feelings and perceptions on a subject which has been established as a major section on this forum?"
The examples, "hack" and "sell-out", were about "self-appointed guardians".
My reference, to "examples that have not been forthcoming", was about people being "driven crazy by the films".
I didn't imply that the MGIWH didn't exist, and I didn't make any other implications. It's fair to comment on my postings to it, but it's also irrelevant.
Mrs. Maggott said:
I'm sorry that I wasn't being clear.
You WERE clear; I agreed with you, and I was making a feeble attempt at exercising my soh in my reply
