• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Question about Theoden and the siege at Helm's Deep

GuardianRanger

Calmindon
Joined
Jan 1, 2003
Messages
472
Two questions:

1. I don't have my books with me. In the movie, when Theoden is explaining how they will defend Helm's Deep, Gimli mentions that it's not just orcs showing up to the party, but Uruk Hai. Theoden says something like "I have fought many wars, I know how to defend my people." I know the appendixes talk about the history of Rohan, did Theoden fight in many wars?

2. What's with going to a seige and bringing an inordiante number of pike-men? I've just noticed this. I mean bring a bunch, sure. But it seemed like 1/5 to 1/4 of the Uruk Hais were pike-men. It makes sense for when Gandalf charges down the mountain. But a seige?


note: I'm neither a NPW or a FAD, but the pike issue got me while watching last night.
 
1. I don't have my books with me. In the movie, when Theoden is explaining how they will defend Helm's Deep, Gimli mentions that it's not just orcs showing up to the party, but Uruk Hai. Theoden says something like "I have fought many wars, I know how to defend my people." I know the appendixes talk about the history of Rohan, did Theoden fight in many wars

Nope. The only military activity which Theoden had been involved with were some military processions and engaging in a bit of Woses hunting.
 
Inderjit S said:
Nope. The only military activity which Theoden had been involved with were some military processions and engaging in a bit of Woses hunting.


And that doesn't exactly qualify as "many wars..."
Interesting.
 
In the Appendexes it states that Aragorn as "Throngil" (sp ?) Rode of in the service first of Rohan then later Gondor.

That he served under Thengil - Theoden's father.

I think its reasonable to assume what happened with Eomer in East Fold(hunting raiding orcs) and Faramir in Ithilien (hunting Harads) was probably as prevalent then as at the time of the War of the Ring.

Remember Eomer telling Aragorn how the Orcs were raiding and stealing horses from Rohan. (that the story of Rohan selling horses to Sauron was a lie) Apparently this had been going on for years.

I think its stated that Thengil in the Rohan part of the Appendexes rode often to the wars of Gondor.

My guess is that like Theodred and Eomer at the time of the War of the Ring Theoden under his father was a Marshal of the Mark and led troops on rides into the Wars of Gondor or against marauding orcs.
 
In the days of Théoden there was no man appointed to the first marshal. He came to the throne a young man, vigorous and of marital spirit, and a great horseman. If war came, he would himself command the muster of Edoras; but his kingdom was at peace for many years, and he rode with knights and his muster, only in exercises and displays; though the shadow of Mordor grew greater from his childhood to old age.

Appendix to 'Battle Of The Fords Of Isen; Unfinished Tales
 
It's nice to know that our vigorous horseman was of a marital spirit, but I don't doubt that he also had the war-like spirit of Mars. :D
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top