• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Rank the evil creatures

I agree with the first two, but after that I can't say because most of them are submitted (Sauron and the other Maiar and balrogs too, but I see them "above") and I don't know how far are they from each other when it comes to power.
Anyone, is there a book where it's said (about the power differences)?
 
Last edited:
Tel

Ok, sir, I changed it... :cool:
Had a slide and editted my post...
 
Ranking

It is not so easy to rank these foe's Power and Terror are very different and wide criteria. I interpret them in following ways:
1. Power - ability to physically mould the environment, Physical power
2. Terror - ability to psychologically mould other beings, Psychological power



1. Power

1. Melkor - could rise mountains
2. Ungoliant - could turn light into material darkness
3. Balrogs - helped to mould the earth and destroy it
4. Dragons - Ancalagon, Smaug and the rest could cause great destruction
5. Sauron - was never described as very powerful, indeed gets beaten by Isildur, Huan the dog and so on... only makes a ring

2. Terror

1. Sauron - he was better than his master in manipulation, deceit and terror
2. Ringwraiths - what can I say, embodiment of fear?
3. Melkor - lied and twisted truths, but couldn't make his foes really fear him, only hate
4. Ungoliant - caused a lot of terror with darkness, during a brief apparence
5. Dragons - they speak smoothly, you know
6. Balrogs
 
Gloer, the following quote is from the Valaquenta, "Of the Enemies" and I will leave it to you to interpret it; but, it would seem to make Sauron/Gorthaur the Cruel out to be pretty darn powerful.

"Among those of his servants that have names the greatest was that spirit whom the Eldar called Sauron, or Gorthaur the Cruel. In his beginning he was of the Maiar of Aule, and he remained mighty in the lore of that people. In all the deeds of Melkor the Morgoth upon Arda, in his vast works and in the deceits of his cunning, Sauron had a part, and was only less evil than his master in that for long he served another and not himself. But in after years he rose like a shadow of Morgoth and a ghost of his malice, and walked behind him on the same ruinous path down into the Void."
 
I read that twice and yeas it says Sauron took part in Melkors actions and that he had the skills of the people of Aule. The impression is that Sauron is more aiding Melkor with his cunning mind and skills than his physical power. I have actually ranked Sauron quite much higher in these aspects.
 
Gloer, its good you divide it into Power and Terror, however I would think that Melkor is higher in the scale of terror. I think he would have been the most terrifying, but could probably control himself more and used his terror as he saw fit.

Most despots and evil tyrants use fear to subdue their subjects, so I could imagine that Morgoth needed a lot of terror to be able to terrify his balrogs and Sauron into submission.
 
Well...

I do not totally agree.

I feel that Sauron - like Saruman after him - was a very rational spirit. He could easily reason that Melkors power is beyond him to challenge. Instead he could pursue his ends as Melkors captain.

Sauron did have quite an independent role: 1. He ruled in Angband while Melkor was captive. 2. He had his own citadel at the island in Sirion (forgot the name) and his werewolve servants.

Also I feel that Morgoth knew that Sauron was not afraid of him - but only respected power. At least that I suspect was behind agreeing to duell Fingolfin. He didn't want to look weak in front of his officers. He could have ordered them to take Fingolfin captive.
But how would that sound like: 1. Morgoth escapes Ungoliant only because Balrogs help him out. 2. Morgoth escapes Fingolfin only because Balrogs help him out.
The second time Morgoth faces an enemy again he relies on others? It makes Morgoth look dependant on his servants! And that is dangerous when you actually are giving your strength to all sorts of creatures.

So I believe that Morgoth ruled Sauron because it was an accepted and known fact that he could crush anyone who rebelled, but give a lot of power to faithful servent.

Conclusion: Morgoth could not terrorize Sauron, who played his game rationally.
 
While crushing the elf-lord...

Melkor should have quietly cursed Sauron and Gothmog for all those needless woulds he had to take from Fingolfin. Just to show those maiar that he was the Lord!

(Or did he really want to defend his honour?)

And in his envy Sauron might have enjoyed his masters agony!
 

Similar threads

Back
Top