• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Reading Through the ✨Silmarillion✨

Elwing_HalfElven

New Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2025
Messages
42
I am determined to go all the way through the Silmarillion this time. And so I have decided to start this thread as a sort of "random thoughts - and also a million questions - of a first time Silm reader." There will probably be more questions than thoughts though....maybe...we'll see....

I also would love to go back in time and re-read The Lord of the Rings for the first time. It makes me so excited when people start reading it and discover things for the first time (like Gandalf's return, and Sam vs Shelob, and any of the amazing battle scenes, and FARAMIR and ARAGORN AND ALL THESE AMAZING PEOPLE!! And also how Pippin doesn't die 😁) I love watching their reactions to the various plot twists and characters - so if anyone wants to see an *unfiltered first time* reaction to Silm, (along with some random ranting and lots of memes) then here you go!

Today I just read about the music of the Ainur....
cb194bc96717c6990ca5352ec3cc7fde.jpg
 
I hope you enjoy your Sil read, @Elwing_HalfElven. It might be useful to start compiling a list of names, with their connections to each other -- there's a mass of them! 😄
I also would love to go back in time and re-read The Lord of the Rings for the first time.
I don't know when you last read it, or how many times, but for me, every time I do a reread, I find new things to marvel at, partly informed by reading other literature, partly by Tolkien studies and criticism, but partly from close reading of sections I'd not considered carefully enough in the past. An example of that last was the subject of one of my first threads here, as a novice TTF member, if you're interested:

 
I hope you enjoy your Sil read, @Elwing_HalfElven. It might be useful to start compiling a list of names, with their connections to each other -- there's a mass of them! 😄
Yup, I have my notebook and pen ready 🤣 (Part of my wants to draw out an genealogy but we'll see if that happens!)
I don't know when you last read it, or how many times, but for me, every time I do a reread, I find new things to marvel at, partly informed by reading other literature, partly by Tolkien studies and criticism, but partly from close reading of sections I'd not considered carefully enough in the past. An example of that last was the subject of one of my first threads here, as a novice TTF member, if you're interested:
This is a beautiful perspective! And so true! I try to read through LOTR once a year. This year, I'm actually not currently reading it. Instead, I am listening to The Prancing Pony Podcast episodes relating to The Lord of the Rings (HIGHLY recommend by the way!! It's a fun listen, but also so informative and deepening my understanding of what I read.) Also, thanks for sharing the link - I'm reading through it (and I think I may need to go back and reread that section of LOTR now)
 
I am listening to The Prancing Pony Podcast episodes relating to The Lord of the Rings (HIGHLY recommend by the way!! It's a fun listen, but also so informative and deepening my understanding of what I read.)
I love the PPP (and so does Glorfindel)! I’m still listening to the beginning of the series with the Quenta Silmarillion, but it definitely is very interesting. I highly recommend listening to those episodes while reading Silm, or after. Both are great. 😂

Yup, I have my notebook and pen ready 🤣 (Part of my wants to draw out a genealogy but we'll see if that happens!)
I don’t know if your copy of the book does or not, but mine has the genealogy maps all at the back of the book. I studied both them and the maps vigorously when I did my first read-through a couple years ago. It also helped having my friends here and thoroughly engaging with the characters through stories, role playing, and conversations. We’re all here for you as you delve into this masterpiece!
 
I love the PPP (and so does Glorfindel)! I’m still listening to the beginning of the series with the Quenta Silmarillion, but it definitely is very interesting. I highly recommend listening to those episodes while reading Silm, or after. Both are great. 😂
Yayyyy!!! That makes me happy (also you will forgive me in advance if I just whack the Feanor pinata on here 🪅🪅) Yeah, I definitely need to listen to the Silm episodes. Maybe I will once I finish reading it, so I can discover all of the the things I missed (or misunderstood) haha

I don’t know if your copy of the book does or not, but mine has the genealogy maps all at the back of the book. I studied both them and the maps vigorously when I did my first read-through a couple years ago. It also helped having my friends here and thoroughly engaging with the characters through stories, role playing, and conversations. We’re all here for you as you delve into this masterpiece!
I double-checked my copies (yes, I have two copies of a book I've never finished. One was from a fellow nerd and the other came in my History of Middle Earth set. My family thinks I'm crazy, but honestly I don't have the heart to let either of them go, because they are both pretty.) I didn't even know those were back there, but yes, mine do have the genealogy maps in the back! How handy!! Thank you for the support - I'm sure I'll need it in the coming days or weeks or however long this journey lasts.... :)
 
I double-checked my copies (yes, I have two copies of a book I've never finished. One was from a fellow nerd and the other came in my History of Middle Earth set. My family thinks I'm crazy, but honestly I don't have the heart to let either of them go, because they are both pretty.)
No worries about having multiple copies! I have two Silm books as well; the first one is a nice paperback version my brother had (which I have since claimed as my own), and the second is a lovely, newer hardcover edition which Maitimo gifted me with for Christmas a couple years ago. It’s the same version she has.

I didn't even know those were back there, but yes, mine do have the genealogy maps in the back! How handy!! Thank you for the support - I'm sure I'll need it in the coming days or weeks or however long this journey lasts.... :)
Of course! Happy to help. I’m actually still in my first reading of Silm too, after these last couple years. I finished reading the Quenta Silmarillion, but I haven’t yet been able to bring myself to read the Akallabêth and Rings of Power parts because now all my favorite characters from the First Age are gone. So, I just keep rereading various scenes to relive and relearn them and notice new details. Eventually I’ll read the rest and officially finish the whole book. 😂
 

Similar threads

Back
Top