• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

🪦 Richard Sherman

Rest In Peace

Erestor Arcamen

Assistant to the forum owner
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
7,867
Me neither. I knew that his brother had died but didn’t know he did. Ironically, I’m reading Dick Van Dyke’s autobiography and just had read about him meeting the Sherman brothers before they started filming Mary Poppins.
Did you know that Dickie is still alive?
I would not have guessed that. He's 98 (or there-abouts) .
 
@Erestor Arcamen ...you mentioned Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang.
I'm guessing you've seen the movie (because Dick VD was in it.)
You know it was based on a book... and (without Googling it) do you know who wrote the book?
The answer surprises not a few people.
 
Last edited:
@Erestor Arcamen ...you mentioned Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang.
I'm guessing you've seen the movie (because Dick VD was in it.)
You know it was based on a book... and (without without Googling it) do you know who wrote the book?
The answer surprises not a few people.
Yeah I’ve seen it. Wasn’t the book written by
Roald Dall
?
 
Yeah I’ve seen it. Wasn’t the book written by
Roald Dall
?
No...I'd expect maybe a few people to know...maybe S-e-S.
I have a Hardbound copy of it...

CCBB.jpg


CCBB Pub info.jpg



IMG_0861.JPG

Surprised? 😄



Some of the illustrations....

CCBB Iluus_cI.JPG



CCBB illus_a.jpg



CCBB  Illus_b.jpg
 
I knew it was someone I’d read, couldn’t remember for sure though.
 
I knew it was someone I’d read, couldn’t remember for sure though.
I have no idea what percentage of younger folks who watch the James Bond movies know that the character is from a book.
And even if some of them know it, I wonder if they could identify the author.
Even some not so young folks have been surprised to learn that the creator of James Bond is also the author of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
(Except that the CCBB story is cloak-and-dagger stuff).
Fleming was never a member of Britain's S.I.S., altho' he was a Naval Intelligence officer during WWII.
 
I have no idea what percentage of younger folks who watch the James Bond movies know that the character is from a book.
And even if some of them know it, I wonder if they could identify the author.
Even some not so young folks have been surprised to learn that the creator of James Bond is also the author of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
(Except that the CCBB story is cloak-and-dagger stuff).
Fleming was never a member of Britain's S.I.S., altho' he was a Naval Intelligence officer during WWII.
I love the movies, not that they’ve all aged great lol but admit while I knew his name was Ian Fleming, I’ve never read the books. I do have a few though and they’re on my to be read pile.
 
I have no idea what percentage of younger folks who watch the James Bond movies know that the character is from a book.
And even if some of them know it, I wonder if they could identify the author.
Even some not so young folks have been surprised to learn that the creator of James Bond is also the author of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
(Except that the CCBB story is cloak-and-dagger stuff).
Fleming was never a member of Britain's S.I.S., altho' he was a Naval Intelligence officer during WWII.
I knew that, and his cousin was Christopher Lee!!

CL
 

Similar threads

Back
Top