• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Rings of Power Stuff

So it was "fun" and the sort of thing he wanted as a schoolboy. Hmmm.

As for a shill: I have a lot of respect for NG, but let's not forget that he's been on the Amaz*n payroll in the past and probably will be again.
So, anyone who says anything even remotely positive about this series is a 'Amazon Shill' ... got it. too funny... 🤣 :cool:
 
Not what I said. And "shill" was your word, not mine.
Right. You said:
So it was "fun" and the sort of thing he wanted as a schoolboy. Hmmm.

As for a shill: I have a lot of respect for NG, but let's not forget that he's been on the Amaz*n payroll in the past and probably will be again.
Just so we're straight there. ;)

Edit Oct 2024: I can't believe some of the commentary pre-season 1 over this show. It as always going to be a fanfic. Why what Amazon was paying for it seemed to bother so many people still cracks me up.
 
Last edited:
Just so we're straight there. ;)
I really don't see what your point is.

Let me clarify for you in very simple language:
It's a matter of fact that NG has been on the Amaz*n payroll. He's had more than one of his books adapted for TV by Amaz*n and others adapted for audiobooks by them. Amaz*n pay him for that, hence he's been on their payroll. This is in no way a criticism of NG, it's simply a matter of fact that he has been paid by them for adapting his work.

It's not good business sense to appear critical of a company that you may wish to do business with again in the future. So when he's asked directly what he thinks of RoP he has to be diplomatic in his response, whatever he might think of it. Here says that it's a "fun" TV series that he would have liked to watch as a kid.

In my opinion, to say that an (allegedly) serious fantasy epic that is costing many millions of dollars is, effectively, 'kid's stuff' is damning with faint praise. Of course, this is only my interpretation. But it's a very interesting use of words by NG, don't you think? A well-respected author of many, many fantasy novels didn't say it's the sort of thing he'd watch now, as an adult - he said it's what he'd watch as a kid. Draw your own conclusions.

It's worthing noting at this point how much Amazon have riding on this "kid's stuff"

65164.jpg


But I guess some people are going to love anything with the LotR label attached to it, no matter how dreadful it is. Enjoy!
 
I guess some people are going to love anything with the LotR label attached to it, no matter how dreadful it is. Enjoy!
I will. 👍👏👌✌️
You 'don't enjoy'. ;)
 
Wait! Tolkien never described any of his characters as having nasal hair!
You're probably right, though I must confess nasal hair has never popped up on my "to explore" list ... 🥶🥶

... but then consider all of the stuff PJ stuffed his six films with that JRRT never described ... JRRT "having described" is apparently not on the agenda ... 🤬
 
Wow -- how did you manage to see it?
Amazing how there's such deep criticism for something we've only seen trailers and YouTube hacks talking about so far.

I'm all for criticisms once it's out and people who criticize have actually seen it but a person has no business with that if you don't even watch the thing. There are lots of shows and movies I've never seen so obviously have no business complaining or criticizing them...
 
Amazing how there's such deep criticism for something we've only seen trailers and YouTube hacks talking about so far.

I've said it in a more of a joke manner. :)
Relax.

I really wish series to be great for all of us, and I don't approve many youtube channels just plain hating it (as you said: without seeing it).
However, there's been 4-5 trailers so far, and many images, and that is enough for some of us, to show our fear on what series might become.

I repeat, I'd be very glad to be proven wrong for any of my fear.
 
I've said it in a more of a joke manner. :)
Relax.

I really wish series to be great for all of us, and I don't approve many youtube channels just plain hating it (as you said: without seeing it).
However, there's been 4-5 trailers so far, and many images, and that is enough for some of us, to show our fear on what series might become.

I repeat, I'd be very glad to be proven wrong for any of my fear.
And I'm sorry, I didn't mean that to mock you or something. It just annoys me when there are people posting as if they've seen the whole series. I hope it's good too and will watch it but I will also criticize it if it's not good.
 
Last edited:
Amazing how there's such deep criticism for something we've only seen trailers and YouTube hacks talking about so far.

I'm all for criticisms once it's out and people who criticize have actually seen it but a person has no business with that if you don't even watch the thing. There are lots of shows and movies I've never seen so obviously have no business complaining or criticizing them...
They can't help themselves Erestor.
 
More positive reviews!
I must admit they do sound positive. But I'm concerned that there are no reviews comparing it favourably to Tolkien's work, they only compare it to PJ's films.
In any case, it's not long before we'll be able to judge for ourselves.
 
Back
Top