• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

RoTK: A Purist's Review

Thorin

LOTR Purist to the end
Joined
Aug 20, 2001
Messages
1,428
Well....Let's see. Let me say that as far as a movie and an adaptation, this movie was the best out of all three and a good movie...*crickets chirp as we hear the clunk of dumbfounded FADs' jaws hitting the floor* This movie had the depth and emotion the other two movies were missing...best of all it had a lot more dialogue from Tolkien than the other two. ;)

I had three major conflicts with the film (Yes! That's right! Only three!) There are other minor things that irritated me however, and I will get to that. The major ones were:

1) Gollum turning Frodo against Sam and Sam's "banishment"
2) Portrayal of Denethor and lack of palantir to explain what was going on
3) Elrond bringing Anduril down and giving the foolish "Arwen's fate tied up with the ring" nonsense

I will rip these apart in a moment but at the same time, these things didn't affect me as bad as Arwen at the Fords. I quickly (and easily mind you) brushed them away to enjoy the rest of the movie. And enjoy it, I did! Let's start off on a positive note, shall we?

What I really liked

1) Minas Morgul Unfortunately, PJ really dumbed down the horror, fear and awesome evil power of Mordor and it's hosts throughout the first two movies. With an earthquake shaking the foundations and screaming Nazgul's whipping overhead, this scene grabbed you by the throat and made you tremble in awe of the evil and power of Mordor. Well done!

2) The improvement of Theoden's character. When he said "Why should I help Gondor when they were not there for us" I rolled my eyes and said, "Oh brother, here we go again." The rest of the time though, he became the Theoden I knew from the books.

3) Maturity and depth of emotion with Merry and Pippin - I finally saw a more mature Pippin and I was so glad. His character (and Boyd's acting) was so much better in this movie.

4) Battle of Pelennor Fields - Of course the visuals in this were stunning and I had no problems with the extras that occured (i.e, Legolas taking down an Oliphaunt etc)


Minor Irritations - NPW stuff

These irritated me from both a purist and cinematic point of view but they didn't take away from the enjoyment of the film

1) The eye of Sauron - Even FADs grimace at the portrayal of the 'lighthouse' eye moving around. And not just the lighthouse effect, but how it moved in it's 'socket'. Cheesy

2) Merry acting like nothing happened with the burning of his arm that he is heading to the black gates. He should have been decimated, but I guess with no Houses of the HealinPJ had to have him doing something.

3) Gandalf being a doubting Thomas half the time as to their hopes in surviving. He seemed to replace Theoden of TTT with his occasional potrayal of cowardice. He should have been more stalwart. He did rally the troops well though.

4) Frodo and Gollum battling it out right after Shelob. It just didn't seem right.

5) Gimli's cavalier and sometimes sarcastic attitude in the face of the ghost army from the paths of the dead...He was supposed to be quite fearful of them.

6) Certain liberties taken with factual events (i.e. dead army at Pelennor, the ending with the destruction of the ring and events centered around Shelob (though she did look good)) All these worked from a cinematic point of view, however.

7) Didn't like the way the pyre of Denethor scenes played out. Thought it could have been done better. Gandalf pushing him on the pyre was just wrong. It almost looked like Denethor came out of his "spell" when he saw Faramir waking and didn't want to die but it was too late. This should have played out like the book. Denethor was probably the worst portrayed. It is a shame.

8) Gandalf's 'afterlife' speech with Pippin. It just seemed very out of place for Gandalf to start playing Shirley McClain


Major Issues - I had big problems with this and must ask the big question: WHY??

1) Gollum acting like a third grade bully by 'framing' Sam and having Frodo tell Sam to take a hike was just wrong. This could and should have played out like the book and been better

2) Denethor was a pig, a bully and loopy right off the bat. Gandalf bashing him didn't help. I truly hope that the palantir will be mentioned or shown in the EE about how Denethor 'knows' everything he said in the movie and why he went crazy because it really needed it.

3) I understand Anduril needed to come to Aragorn, but what was with all the clap-trap about Arwen dying and her fate tied up in the ring? PJ just goes too far with liberties that, cinematically, he might need to take. (i.e. He could have had Arwen come and just assist the fellowship by replacing Glorfindel but he has her defying the Nazgul as well). To me this is another example.

Other than that, I was actually impressed with the flow and even the editing of the movie. Alot truer to Tolkien than the other theatre versions (the FoTR: EE still ranks up there as the best, but the RoTK:EE could change that).

Purist ranking: 7/10 (given the time and what they had to work with)
Movie ranking: 8/10

*Now pick yourselves off of the floor, FADs*
 
Last edited:
A spoiler? But this is a review. Of course there are spoilers! Nobody reads a review if they don't want it spoiled.
 
Thorin, I'm really impressed, this was an honest, well thought of review. You put solid backup to your statements and didn't start taking cheap shots at pj like joxy.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the movie, and I'm glad that you took in consideration the cinematic value of it.

As for your hopes on the additions to the EE, I'm glad to say that they will be there, a press information kit mentioned some of the things and many of them where those that you wanted explained or made more coherent.

Thorin, you've just made a major leap in my scale. Good job.
 
Originally posted by Thorin
A spoiler? But this is a review. If course there are spoilers! Nobody reads a review if they don't want it spoiled.
Oh... okay. :(
 
Originally posted by Ol'gaffer
As for your hopes on the additions to the EE, I'm glad to say that they will be there, a press information kit mentioned some of the things and many of them where those that you wanted explained or made more coherent.

Question: Do we see Denethor with a Palantir???

(Please say yes!)
 
Hmmm

Oh well, I can live without it...I'll just have to give it a 9.99999982/10 stars. :)
 
*KRHM*

actually, according to the info that I've received, we do see Denethor and the palantir issue in the EE.

No other news about it have been released, but atleast it's there!
 
RoTK may be the best of the three. I agree with the Denethor comment. I would have liked to seen the Palantir stuff as it kind of explains why he's so...well nuts hehe. Yeah, the lighthouse eye thing was kind of dumb, but I guess for all the kiddies and folks who just dont "get" Sauron, it was necessary. I also noticed and cringed about with the "Arwen's fate" tied to the ring thing. Didn't ruin it for me, I just don't see why it was neceassry to deviate with that. Good review Thorin!
 
actually, according to the info that I've received, we do see Denethor and the palantir issue in the EE.
Really? That's great! My information is probably wrong, but I'm glad that it is. If they do have more development of Denethor with the palantir in the EE I will be very happy indeed.
 
Originally posted by Wynston
I also noticed and cringed about with the "Arwen's fate" tied to the ring thing. Didn't ruin it for me, I just don't see why it was necessary to deviate with that.

Exactly my feelings! That line was the only one that made me shudder. I think Elrond was speaking more figuratively than literally, but still.

Ick.
 
Originally posted by Thorin
This movie had the depth and emotion the other two movies were missing...

I really don't get how this movie has more depth and emotion than FOTR!!! Where is this, exactly? It was mostly battles with a few emotional scenes - and these were pretty sparse. Gandalf's out of place moment with Pippin compared to his powerful speech to Frodo (more like speeches) in FOTR? Faramir's brief struggle to please his father compared to Boromir's complete meltdown? Sam folowing Frodo into the river is right up there with carrying him up Mount Doom. FOTR was textured with depth in almost every scene - the pacing was incredible going from action to emotion and back again. Of course, ROTK is sadder...it's the end. But that's the only way I can think of that makes it more emotional than FOTR.
 
Re: Re: RoTK: A Purist's Review

Originally posted by simbelmyne
I really don't get how this movie has more depth and emotion than FOTR!!! Where is this, exactly?......Sam folowing Frodo into the river is right up there with carrying him up Mount Doom. FOTR was textured with depth in almost every scene - the pacing was incredible going from action to emotion and back again. Of course, ROTK is sadder...it's the end. But that's the only way I can think of that makes it more emotional than FOTR.
Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that it being the end DOES make it more emotional. IMO, the only true emotional moment in FoTR was Boromir meeting his end valiantly and I will say that that is probably the most emotional moment out of all three movies. There were many solemn moments in FoTR, no doubt, but emotional? Not very many at all. Superficial at best. Sam and Frodo at the river better than Mount Doom? Sheesh, I can't agree with that at all. RoTK was the only time when S&F's relationship actually had honest and sincere emotion.

RoTK - Faramir and Denethor, Eowyn and Theoden, Frodo and Sam the majority of the way through (and considering what seemed to me a superficial relationship between those two throughout the first two movies, that's saying alot), Pippin ALONE had as much emotion in RoTK than all of the hobbits together in TTT. Heck, even Aragorn and Elrond had a deep moment together as well.
 
Originally posted by Ol'gaffer


As for your hopes on the additions to the EE, I'm glad to say that they will be there, a press information kit mentioned some of the things


:eek: Please oh please tell me what they are. You can pm me if you want.
 
Originally posted by Thorin
*crickets chirp as we hear the clunk of dumbfounded FADs' jaws hitting the floor*
...
*Now pick yourselves off of the floor, FADs*
LOL- not quite, Thorin! You'll be happy to hear that I picked you, Mrs. Maggot, and joxy as three 'purists' who will enjoy RotK, in my post Here! See, I had faith in you! Now, one down, two to go!
 
I really AM amazed, Thorin. A review which I can see some correlation between the film I saw and your comments!;)

I guess the difference is that I am just less troubled than you about the differences. It doesnt follow the book, but it was still a great movie. And you seem to recognise that it was a good movie, so I am not troubled by your reservations. You are entitled to them.:)

Of your major issues....

(1) The framing of Sam was a way of making Frodo's peril with Shelob seem that much worse, and Sam's heroism greater, and Gollum's calumny worse. I didnt mind that.

(2) I would agree that the portrayal of Denethor was most unsympathetic. To see him stuffing fruit into his mouth, while Faramir rides to almost certain death made Faramir seem more heroic, but Denethor seems much darker. I would have liked to have seen the Houses of Healing scenes, so that the nobility of Faramir could have been made more apparent.

(3) I guess this was PJ trying to work in the effect of Arwen's choice... ie that she becomes mortal. Clumsy stuff, I would agree. I feel sure this could have been dealt with in some other manner.

But overall I think this movie is fantastic. I am glad you liked it too.:)
 
Re: Re: Re: RoTK: A Purist's Review

Originally posted by Thorin
There were many solemn moments in FoTR, no doubt, but emotional? Not very many at all. Superficial at best.

RoTK was the only time when S&F's relationship actually had honest and sincere emotion.

What about all of Gandalf's wonderful scenes in FOTR? He didn't get a oscar nomination for nothing! His only job in ROTK seemed to be taking advice from Aragorn and beating up Denethor (in terrible taste, IMO). What about Gandalf's fall in Moria (after he delivers the best line of all 3 to Frodo)?

OK, yes, the climb up Mount Doom was great, and on a much GRANDER scale than Sam choosing to drown rather than desert Frodo, but superficial? No way! :) The hand reaching down into the water, the tears, the embrace *gets teary*. Choosing to go on alone at the river is Frodo's bravest moment...only the words of G in his head give him the courage to do it. Sam's making the same choice in both movies - help Frodo or die trying.

Maybe my feelings about S/F's relationship (which was overall great) is tainted by the RIDICULOUS scene with the lembas. Sam's been giving Frodo most of the food and carrying most of the supplies for weeks on end, and Frodo's supposed to fall for some lame story that he gobbled up all the supplies when F was asleep? The ring may be playing with his mind, but it doesn't make him a complete idiot. "Go home"? If F has two brain cells not obsessed with the ring he knows Sam is dead either way.
 
I really enjoi the movie.I am fan of Tolkien but i liked the three movies as well.
Thorin good job with the review.But i still cant find answers to some questions:
How did Sam found the way out of Shelob's lair?
Why we didnt see the Dunedans,it seems like only Rohan and Gondor fight.
Where were the sons of Elrond we could have seen them insted of Elrond and atleast it will be more closer to the book.

I wont start with the Frodo/Sam scebe where they break up because i have read alot about it and i still think it was too stupid.I think this is the major thing that make the movie i but worst

At the eye.What was wrong with the eye in TTT and ROTK.In FOTR the eye was awesome and then in TT its sucks on the top of the tower and why they should have made him move,damn this was stupid.can anyone that like the books give a resionable explanation.

Denetor was bad,he was evil but noone understand why:))heh,i think PJ thinks that this isnt nessesary.

Inspite of this,i loved the movie,i didnt get angry about the changes,i knew we will have(thinking again about TT) some thats why i didnt pay attation so much
 

Similar threads

Back
Top