• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Scouring of the Shire? out?

I treat spoilers for LOTR much differently than I do for say...Star Wars movies (i.e. EP 2). I don't know much of the plot of Ep 2 and I'd like to keep it that way and basically be surprised the first time I see it. As far as LOTR, I know the entirety of the story already and the idea of going in fresh from plot spoilers seems a little ridiculous. I want to know beforehand where the big changes take place so I can be prepared for them rather than having them ruin the experience when I finally see it.

This can go a little far if I'm fully aware of how every scene plays out. Seeing for instance, the intrepretation of the Dead Marshes on screen for the first time will be exhilirating - I know it'll be there but not exactly how it'll look and feel. On the other hand, if Gandalf's confrontation with Saruman takes a crazy twist with Saruman ending up dead at Orthanc (as seems will be the case) I want to know about it beforehand, lest I be totally aghast.
 
Thats a tricky moral problem. tick..tick..tick..I still dont want to know.

After FOTR I know that changes are possible--inevitable--and I still can enjoy the movie and believe it was true to the spirit. So that is enuf preparation. For the rest, I would like to have some of the wonder of Tolkien virgins for at least the parts that I did not know were coming.
 
Should I be posting spoiler warnings?

btw Harad - your on an absolute tear - up to 96 posts again already?!
 
I've heard the argument that the scene comes after the big climax of the book (film), but I still think it is a very important part of the story. It shows how the hobbits have changed due to their experiences. The people of the Shire aren't very well aware of what has been happening to Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin, of what greatness they have achieved in other places. The Scouring of the Shire is a scene where this is revealed to them.
Also, it shows the audience what Saruman has been up to while the Fellowship believed him powerless and incapable of being effectively evil :) Plus, his death is in the chapter. I don't know if it's just me, but I find these things all important. Another victory for good

I hope that wasn't too cheesy
 
I hope that the Scouring of the Shire is included in the book. It tells of the final stage of Frodo´s development. It is a chance to see the evolution of all the hobbits after their adventures in their own home and it shows us the extent of the war and all the regios it covered.

Why would PJ left it out! If that is not butchering, then i don´t know what is?
 
Re: SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Variag of Khand
This is what I've picked up about how Saruman is dealt with in TTT by PJ. The info comes from:

http://www.xenite.org/faqs/lotr_movie/two-towers.html

The quote you get there is (don't look if you don't want to know!)



Nothing in/out as far as spiky wheels are concerned but the Palantir bit is new to me.

Ok i looked at that link and read the plot for TTT but then i read the plot for ROTK and it said that when they were going home that they overtook Sauruman on the way home and that he then went to the shire. What's going on?
 
Those descriptions seem to gradually transition from known stuff about the movie to the book plot when the movie is unknown. All they seems to say is that FOTR is all correct and TTT & ROTK are speculative.
 
Well, after the events at the Ford I don't think we have to worry too much about Frodo getting a lot of time to show his Individual Fortitude too much in the rest of the movie, so I really am not surprised that the Scouring is out anyways. It really would kill the pace of the movie though, as much as the fans would love to see it. Unless you are one of the folks who feels that the exclusion of Tom Bombadil was the absolute ruination of the first film it really won't make much difference to the bulk of the readers in the end...
 

Similar threads

Back
Top