• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

"She owns him not."

Radaghast

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 31, 2021
Messages
2,808
I always kind of wondered about the line in the book that says, "“his cat he calls her, but she owns him not.” I assumed this was some archaic turn of phrase, though I've never encountered similar use. Also, someone on Quora asked if it was an error. One answer says, no, Tolkien phrased it that way because cats own their person, not the other way around.

I'm highly skeptical of that answer and wanted to know if anyone can clarify.
 
I always kind of wondered about the line in the book that says, "“his cat he calls her, but she owns him not.” I assumed this was some archaic turn of phrase, though I've never encountered similar use. Also, someone on Quora asked if it was an error. One answer says, no, Tolkien phrased it that way because cats own their person, not the other way around.

I'm highly skeptical of that answer and wanted to know if anyone can clarify.
Very interesting. Something to look into. However, I can testify to the fact that cats own their person...
 
The concept that the cat owns the person is a very, very old one.
That said, the question from the phrase does not revolve around the 'old phrase' - but around "what does it mean."

In this case, does "she owns him not" mean the cat does not acknowledge her ownership of him?
Or does it mean that he does not acknowledge the cat's claim on him?

Therein lies the mystery.
 
No doubt. But the direction of its "point" remains unclear, given the sentence's ambiguous syntax.
 
No doubt. But the direction of its "point" remains unclear, given the sentence's ambiguous syntax.

I used to understand the meaning only if I assumed it was an error; I'd switch the pronouns to: "...he owns her not...". Meaning: Sauron does not own Shelob.

Now, I think all the ambiguity disappears if we substitute a valid (but atypical) synonym for "own": 'she acknowledges him not.'

'If now and again Shelob caught them [orcs] to stay her appetite, she was welcome: he could spare them. And sometimes as a man may cast a dainty to his cat (his cat he calls her, but she owns him not) Sauron would send her prisoners that he had not better uses for: he would have them driven to her hole, and report brought back to him of the play she made.'
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top