Try this:
read the 1st few chapters in FOTR covering the shire and then read Scouring... - e.g. just read the book strictly from the setting and perspective of the shire.
It kinda sorta seems to me that Cotton kinda comes out of nowhere in Scouring. What is interesing is that we are treated to so many insights into so many different and interesting Hobbit characters in the 1st few chapters including Maggot, Fatty etc. Yet fast forward to Scouring and it's all pretty much Cotton Cotton Cotton...
I guess I would have expected Cotton to been mentioned a bit more prominently in the ealry chapters or a more assertive reappearance of previous characters - perhaps some Tooks or Brandybucks or Maggot etc...
Just thought I'd throw this one out and see what others thought...
Still - I suggest reading those chapters in the sequence I suggested above and see how they flow for yourself.
thanks,
read the 1st few chapters in FOTR covering the shire and then read Scouring... - e.g. just read the book strictly from the setting and perspective of the shire.
It kinda sorta seems to me that Cotton kinda comes out of nowhere in Scouring. What is interesing is that we are treated to so many insights into so many different and interesting Hobbit characters in the 1st few chapters including Maggot, Fatty etc. Yet fast forward to Scouring and it's all pretty much Cotton Cotton Cotton...
I guess I would have expected Cotton to been mentioned a bit more prominently in the ealry chapters or a more assertive reappearance of previous characters - perhaps some Tooks or Brandybucks or Maggot etc...
Just thought I'd throw this one out and see what others thought...
Still - I suggest reading those chapters in the sequence I suggested above and see how they flow for yourself.
thanks,
