• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Something I thought was interesting

33Peregrin

hmmm
Joined
Jan 11, 2003
Messages
890
Here's a song on the FOTR Soundtrack (In Dreams)

When the Cold of Winter comes,
Starless night will cover day.
In the veiling of the sun,
We will walk in bitter rain.

But in dreams, I can hear your name.
And in dreams, we will meet again!

When the seas and mountains fall,
and we come to end of days,
In the dark I hear a call....
Calling me there, I will go there,
And back again...


Here's a verse of Treebeards Ent's and Entwive's song.

Ent:
When winter comes, the winter wild that hill and wood shall slay;
When trees shall fall and starless night devour the sunless day;
When wind is in the deadly East, then in the bitter rain
I'll look for thee, and call to thee; I'll come to thee again!

Entwife:
When Winter comes, and singing ends; when darkness falls at last;
When broken is the barren bough, and light and labour past;
I'll look for thee, and wait for thee, until we meet again:
Together we will take the road beneath the bitter rain!

Both:
Together we will take the road that leads into the West,
And far away will find a land where both our hearts may rest.


Isn't that awesome?
 
Well I'm not (and never have been) a very big fan of poetry, but yeah, that is nice.;)
 
Originally posted by 33Peregrin
Isn't that awesome?
I'll never get used to the US meaning of this word!
It IS nice verse though, as long as you also read Tolkien's - and, "hopefully", agree that's better.
 
Originally posted by joxy
I'll never get used to the US meaning of this word!

What is our meaning of the word, and how is it different than.... well what are other meanings for the word?

Tolkien's is better.... no doubt. It was just weird..... I liked that song so much on the soundtrack, then suddenly as I went through LOTR for like my fifth time I was like "Wow"! Look.... isn't that cool and weird? It was just like a weird moment for me.
 
Originally posted by 33Peregrin
What is our meaning of the word....what are other meanings for the word?
When people in the forums say something is awesome I gather they mean it's very good.
To me it means that the thing it describes is impressive, almost frightening, and the element of "good" (or bad) doesn't really come into it.
You quoted the verses as being from the FOTR soundtrack; are they in the films, and, if so, where?
 
They are in the films, but don't start playing till after "May it be" on the credits. On the soundtrack, they are part of the song "The Breaking of the Fellowship" but the movie stops right when the singing is supposed to begin.
 
Heheh, I seem to remember confusion about the word 'awesome' before!

In the US, awesome has only a good connotation. Something very bad is never awesome in that sense.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top