• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Something Rotten in the Riddermark

These characters were requested. Maybe they'll stick around for the actual story, but since mostly Rohan types were preferred, mayhaps they're just here because they fit into a festival atmosphere.

Name: Trahald the Tainted

Race/Sex: Southron type human/Male

Appearance: black, roving eyes that don't miss very much, short and black hair, some pretty dark skin, pantaloons, slashed vest, bandana covering the top of his head and missing left ear, a belt holding his weapons and various potions and poisons, average height and build. Why not?

Personality: smart, tends to think about only himself, if he's nice to anybody, it's only because he thinks he has something to gain from it, he can be very flattering, harsh, condescending, or aloof, I found out that he does have some morals, but he's just too intelligent to let them get in his way most of the time, hates corsairs but will still do business with them, as he will with pretty much anyone, if he can. Very fun to play. Yay for weaselly people!

Weapons: usually uses a bludgeon and cutlass and potions and poisons, but has plenty of other weapons in his wagon

History: kidnapped by corsairs of Umbar at a superly young age, he mostly got to work in the kitchen of some ship with a very talented chef, he learned to be a great chef himself, also how to make potions and poisons, he tried to poison his captain, but that didn't work and got his mentor killed and his left ear chopped off, a while later, he tried again, escaped, and killed the captain with his own cutlass, he ran away, begged, and picked pockets for a while in small towns in Gondor, hung out in bars, became a successful gambler, went north, ran into Boffin and Tolir, after a while, he acquired enough merchandise in games of chance that he started his own traveling business, Trahald's Itinerant Armoury (and apothecary, and toyshop), travels Middle Earth looking for profits
__________________________________________________ ___________

Name: Boffin

Race/Sex: Dwarf/Male

Appearance: definitely more fat than muscle on him, too sickeningly innocent looking to look very smart, blue eyes most often looking off into space, golden hair, long and not very neat beard, colorful clothes that might look good at a formal dinner under a not very well made coat of mail (the clothes are under that, not the dinner), has an outrageous looking helm that was only used by his ancestors in ceremonies

Personality: absent-minded, loyal, friendly to pretty much anyone, sickeningly innocent, admires elves, is embarrassed and self-conscious in front of most Dwarves. He makes me sick most of the time.

Weapons: just a mace and dagger, sorry

History: born to a rich family in the Lonely Mountain, he was given some expensive tutors, but he wasn't a very fast learner and was just embarrassing the other Dwarves by being around, so he was eventually cast out of the mountain to learn some common sense, ran into an adventuring group of elves and humans, helped them out, learned to appreciate elf type stuffs, found out that he had a talent for understanding what they had to teach, learned a few of their languages, hung out with them for a while, left to help with adventures with Tolir in the north, ran into Trahald the Tainted and makes toys for him nowadays

Other: gots a white and gold pony named Pooftop that he got from some elves

_______________________________________________________________

Name: Tolir

Race/Sex: mostly Lossoth type human/Male

Appearance: one of those huge, scary, but harmless looking type dudes, bright red skin from working with Dwarves and not having skin as resistant as their's, curly brown hair, brown eyes, very Dwarvish looking clothes, pretty good armour he made himself while hanging out with Dwarves

Personality: definitely a follower, if he was left alone, he wouldn't know what to do with himself, he'd have to find some place to work for someone, not very smart, not much of a personality, is usually quiet and thinking to himself, doesn't like to talk to most people, but is superly loyal. I made him to make fun of people that like playing humans in fantasy R. P. G. type things, so he's supposed to be boring. I found out later that I also don't like him because he's too sad. Always reminiscing and beating himself up about how he couldn't save the lives of loved ones. Ick. Why do I have any serious characters at all? Too boring.

Weapons: a huge war axe, and a dirk in his left boot

History: born in a small town north of the Shire where he was some kind of dumb (yet respected) guard type person, went to some Dwarves to become a blacksmith, when he was coming back to his hometown, he found that his family had been killed by trolls, after getting all kinds of revenge, he joined a group of elves and humans on some quest, ran into Boffin, they ran into Trahald the Tainted later, he is happily working for him as a bodyguard

Other: gots a horse named Fred, but he's boring, too
 
Oh boy... Boffin may soon have to receive another lesson in dwarfsmanship.

I am working on a post that will get Jokim to the wrestling grounds. It is coming out longer than I expected, however. I hope to have it up within the next couple of days, so as not to disappoint Chrys upon her return from vacation. It's funny how non-stop writing as a day job leaves one gasping for creative juice at night... but I'm working at finding a balance.

Hope everyone's doing well...
 
Yep, yep...have returned with a renewed hatred for airlines!

Am looking forward to jumping back in and yes, Ghorim, I can truly empathise re: the need for expressing one's creativity after being out for a bit! As a sidenote, I had a great dinner with Baragund while in Baltimore. We lamented the fact that there weren't more TTFers in the area to meet with, but we had fun nonetheless. I highly recommend Maryland crabcakes!
 
Very nice that the two of you got the chance to meet, Chrys. So much mystery comes with corresponding online... it's always great to come face-to-face with a digital buddy. None of you happen to live in the vicinity of Atlanta, by the way?

In other news... a big ol' two-part post is up from me. Turgon, go ahead and give us the play-by-play of Hengist vs. Kjartan when you get the chance. We'll see what develops from there...
 
As always, a tremendous post, Ghorim! I'm itching to post after that, but I'll wait on Turgon. *flaps away to "encourage" Turgon*
 
Yes, nice posts Ghorim, very nice.

I'll be off to write my post then.
 
Ahhh... quick question before I get to replying... how much longer does this wrestling contest continue? If there are still a few matches Jokim could spare some time, but if not, he's got to hurry to rejoin his comrades for their performance.
 
There will be at least one more match in the wrestling - Helm against Hengist.
 
I'll get a post up now Ghorim. You gave me some nice ideas to work with there.
 
Gah... lost my post to a Blue Screen of Death last night. There is something seriously wrong with my system. After many, many hours trying to diagnose it, and quite a few upgrades to my PC I think I have narrowed it down to my Hard Drive. It keeps failing the Seagate diagnostic tests anyway. So fingers crossed that is all that is wrong with it. Hard drives are easy to replace I think. Got to be easier than installing a power supply unit, which gave me a bit of a headache last week. Put it in upside down the first time... Anyway, I'll keep you posted.
 
I'm still here, just recovering from right claw surgery...will be back in typing form in about 2 weeks when the cast comes off. Where's Yay lately??
 
Well I got my new Hard Drive on Sunday, and no Blue Screens to report as of yet. I'll get to work on a post tomorrow, so Chrys will have something to sink her teeth into when she gets back onboard.



Thanks for your patience.
 
Another extended break in the action here means another post about Jokim's childhood in the "Glittering Caves" section of the Forum. He was actually a pretty nice kid, it turns out.

Any more progress to report, Turgon?
 
Sorry Ghorim I got caught up with a few things. We are having a very nice spell of autumn weather here, which always gives me the wanderlust, so I've been out and about rather a lot. Working on my post as I write as this. Hope to get it up this evening.
 
Wow! Sounds excellent. It's mostly soggy and gray where I am at the moment, but I can wholly relate. Good autumn weather is to be cherished. I'm looking forward to seeing what you cook up next...
 
Hullo all, sorry about my absence... see other thread for details...

Just bought myself a USB keyboard, so I think I'm good to go. If I can stop the bloody kitten from attacking the wires that is.
 
I guess that would be me. I was just waiting for somebody to actually give a damn to be honest...
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…