• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Drawing SRG's drawings

Great analysis there, picking up all the little details. ☺️

When drawing, I do like to create something that I've never seen done before. It's like exploring uncharted territory.
 
I did in fact draw seven wounds on Morgoth, too. They're just hard to see because his blood is a similar colour to his clothing/armour. But you can see some blood trails running down the armour on his shins, since the wounds are on his thighs.
 
Ah, now I see them upon a much closer examination. I could only distinctly pick out three wounds so far, but I see the black blood dripping from them. Nice touches to include the wounds Fingolfin dealt him! Also not a detail I see often, or at all.
 
I really love this!

First of all, I'm a little curious about Morgoth's eyes. I seem to remember in a progress picture you showed us a while back, his eyes were more framed in red around the lids, which definitely made them look unsettling and kind of grotesque. Here, I'm seeing the lids as more grey. Did you change that, or did TTF strip the picture of its saturation during upload? It often does that to my art. But regardless, the eyes still look unsettling given how wide and expressionless they are.

Poor Fingolfin... you can clearly tell he's dead. That unnaturally angled, limp rag doll sort of position of his upper body just says ouch!

Also, I like Fingolfin's shoes. I saw a lot of those lace-up leather shoes when I was researching ancient and early medieval Celtic clothing recently (which I know you're way more knowledgeable about than I am!)

But I think what I like most of all is the lighting and composition. It takes lots of skill and quite an eye to plan out the elements of the foreground, midground and background, and how to give the eye a place to focus. I think the eye lands first on Morgoth and Fingolfin, but then it's obviously drawn towards the bright light and the striking silhouette of the eagle. And the rocks and stuff have the perfect amount of detail. They're vaguely drawn, so they create a mood but don't distract from the subject.
 
They still look red to me. 🤔 Anyway, I also posted it on the TTF Discord, and the resolution is better there too if you open the image.

The mental image I had for this drawing was more 'zoomed out', so those were the first things I had in mind. And thus I had more trouble with figuring out the small details like Morgoth's face:
 
I really love this!
Lol. I spent way too long staring at my drawing after completing it. I was like: 'woa, I actually did it' 😦

It takes lots of skill and quite an eye to plan out the elements of the foreground, midground and background, and how to give the eye a place to focus.
I think that's the part I put the least conscious effort into. I just think about the image in my mind and let my hand do its thing. 😂
So something in my brain must know how to make pictures look good. It seems to combine things I've observed in the real world (like how light falls on things, and how light looks weird and yellow through clouds of ash/smoke), and puts them together in the right way to produce a particular effect.

Perhaps it's more akin to how shots are put together in a film than it is to something from the real world (where the things in your field of view are not so neat and isolated).
 
Last edited:
@Maedhros_Nelyafinwë, @Fingon_Findekáno, some baby Tyelpë sketches for you as well.




Little Tyelperinquar needs a vantage point. Maybe he's lost his parents at a large family gathering, or maybe he just wants to see what things look like from such a height.


Maitimo: *obliges*
Tyelpë: *looks around with the utmost seriousness*
Maitimo: lol


Tyelpë: *locates his parents and thanks Nelyo with a hug before toddling off in their direction*
Maitimo: *tries not to completely melt into a puddle*


Tyelpë: *points at Finno's gold-striped braid* You seein' this, Ammë...?? O_O
Findekáno: Ehehe
Tancaquárë: *amused*
 
Of course. A curious and scientific babe, just like his father. But much more cuddly and less suspicious. 😂
Indeed! His little searching pose in Maitimo’s arms is so cute, especially with his serious expression. “Now where are Atya and Ammë…?” His manners are on-point at such a young age too, giving Maitimo a hug of thanks before toddling off.

I also love the expressions for Maitimo, Finno, and Anca, and your captions for the pictures!

Tyelpë: *points at Finno's gold-striped braid* You seein' this, Ammë...?? O_O
🤣
 
Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…