Flammifer
Dagnir-en-Ancalagon
- Joined
- Jun 14, 2003
- Messages
- 515
IMO this is the very best part of the entire LOTR story. Gandalf's account of the Battle of the Peak is absolutely brilliant - and it left me wishing that it was pages and pages longer!
Particularly this passage I love:
"We fought far under the living earth, where time is not counted. Ever he clutched me, and every I hewed him, till at last he fled into dark tunnels. They were not made by Durin's folk, Gimli son of Gloin. Far, far below the deepest delving of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them no. They are older than he. Now I have walked there, but I will bring no report to darken the light of day. In that despair my enemy was my only hope, and I pursued him, clutching at his heel. Thus he brought me back at last to the secret ways of Khazad-Dum: too well he knew them all. Every up now he went, until we came to the Endless Stair".
It leaves we desparate to know the names of the "nameless things", and wondering how many steps are of the Endless Stair.
I wish there was an account written somewhere of Gandalf's return to Lorien - that is of course the first place he was taken to by Gwaihir after his battle. I would love to read something about how Galadriel and Celeborn and the rest of the Elves wondered that he was returned, although Galadriel might have already known that Gandalf was alive, as Gwaihir says "...the Lady Galadriel who sent me to look for you".
So, who else thinks that this is a truly brilliant part of the book? (Not that the whole thing isn't)
Particularly this passage I love:
"We fought far under the living earth, where time is not counted. Ever he clutched me, and every I hewed him, till at last he fled into dark tunnels. They were not made by Durin's folk, Gimli son of Gloin. Far, far below the deepest delving of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them no. They are older than he. Now I have walked there, but I will bring no report to darken the light of day. In that despair my enemy was my only hope, and I pursued him, clutching at his heel. Thus he brought me back at last to the secret ways of Khazad-Dum: too well he knew them all. Every up now he went, until we came to the Endless Stair".
It leaves we desparate to know the names of the "nameless things", and wondering how many steps are of the Endless Stair.
I wish there was an account written somewhere of Gandalf's return to Lorien - that is of course the first place he was taken to by Gwaihir after his battle. I would love to read something about how Galadriel and Celeborn and the rest of the Elves wondered that he was returned, although Galadriel might have already known that Gandalf was alive, as Gwaihir says "...the Lady Galadriel who sent me to look for you".
So, who else thinks that this is a truly brilliant part of the book? (Not that the whole thing isn't)

