Elthir
Cat in a Coat
- Joined
- Nov 28, 2004
- Messages
- 3,943
As per LOTR. I don't interpret that as to go with Elrond in the same ship, but whether to remain permanently in Middle Earth or eventually leave for the west.
No problem of course; and you're certainly not alone in that interpretation.
For the thread in general, I'll post what I think it the relevant exchange from A&A -- so far, only partially quoted in my footnote above -- I'm not saying that just reading it is a slam dunk for my position, but for easier reference here.
And with respect to your commentary about Tolkien's changing mind and canon, if I have time, I might respond to it over in the fairly recent thread on canon.
"What is that doom?" said Aragorn.
"That so long as I abide here, she shall live with the youth of the Eldar," answered Elrond, "and when I depart, she shall go with me, if she so chooses."
"I see." said Aragorn. "that I have turned my eyes to a treasure no less dear than the treasure of Thingol that Beren once desired. Such is my fate." Then suddenly the foresight of his kindred came to him, and he said: "But lo! Master Elrond, the years of your abiding run short at last, and the choice must soon be laid on your children, to part either with you, or with Middle-earth."
"Truly," said Elrond. "Soon, as we account it, though many years of Men must still pass."
and as I say, it's not until the Second Edition that we find out Elladan and Elrohir "long remained" in Middle-earth after Elrond sailed
So did Tolkien, in the revised edition of The Lord of the Rings published in the 1960s, finally reveal the fate of the sons of Elrond? You (anyone) decide!
Last edited:
