• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

The Fall of Gondolin: Out!

You expect me to remember a typo I noticed almost two years ago?!

I'm no Francis Bacon, you know -- by this point, my brain is toast!
 
Bacon 'n' eggs on toast - my favorite breakfast on our vacations. 😋
 
Interesting perspective, but I don't think the narratives support it? It was not Anglachel that wrought Turin's doom but the curse of Morgoth, and after Maeglin stole Anguirel it doesn't figure in the story in any way that I can recall. They are dark swords imbued with the malice of their creator, and I think that's all. Anglachel helped along in the operation of Morgoth's Curse, but we'll never know if Tolkien would have developed Anguirel's role in the fall of Gondolin. Though I can imagine it being wielded in Maeglin's final battle against Tuor, it is clear that Tuor and Dramborleg prevailed.
 
Gap-filling is only compelling when supported by evidence from canon. So unless you have some quotes from the texts to back this up, speaking with conviction isn't going to get you far.
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…