Originally posted by Grond
Alas, Cian has done my research and proved my point all at once without Grond having to open a book. Thanks to you O Learned Cian and to you Brent, my boss was Melkor. He never referred to himself as Morgoth and neither did any of his vassels (unless they wanted to fry in the flame of Utumno.) Morgoth was a cursed name given him by Feanor and only used by His opponents. touche!
And to you O Aredhel the following quote is made from the index of the Silmarillion concerning Mandos.
"Mandos - The place of the dwelling in Aman of the Vala properly called Namo, the Judge, though this name was seldom used, and he himself was usually referred to as Mandos. Named as Vala: 25....etc, etc, etc" Mandos was the name of the place AND the common name of the Vala Namo! I rest my case.
Originally posted by Cian
I don't know if I'm missing the point here, (hey, it happens) but here's some 'stuffs' of possible interest anyway:
"The Doom (or the Gift) of Men is mortality, freedom from the circles of the world ... (my edit) ... mortality is not explained mythically: it is a mystery of God of which no more is known than that 'what God has purposed for Men is hidden'." JRRT
"Neither had they of course any special information concerning what 'death' portended for Men. They believed that it meant 'liberation from the circles of the World', and was in that respect to them enviable." JRRT
Sorry that some of that is plucked from context, edited for brevity and vaguely whatnot, but I type one-fingered
Originally posted by Brent
What case ? I'm not sure I see it. The brillance of the prof is his use of language.
Morgoth or more properly Morgoth Bauglir and its a "given name as the norse term it. It means 'Black Enemy'; 'Bauglir' is 'The Constrainer' His choice doesn't seem to matter @ p32 "last of all is set the name of melkor, he who arises in might. But that name he has forfeited"
Whereas Mandos is the name of a place means prison fortress. Poor old Vala always gets called after his job !!
Originally posted by Grond
... I'll never have time to do any constructive posting on the threads.
Originally posted by Dengen-Goroth
The Grey Havens are west of the Blue Mountains, which are not very far from the Shire. The Grey Havens can be seen as a port of sorts, whee ships are constructed by Cirdan, believed to be the oldest elf living, and other elves to carry elves to Valinor. There have been but few exceptions, for only elves may venture to Valinore. Frodo left because he was weary and ill, and the past haunted him. Valinor is home to the Vala, who may be considered wither gods or archangels in Tolkien's world. In there land it was like perpetual spring, beautiful and glorious, and only there could Frodo heal his wounds. Gandalf arrived from Valinor, along with Saruman, Radagast, and the Blue Wizards to put a stop to Sauron. Bilbo left, well, I think because he was old and just wanted to see the place. The elves left because they were weary of the sorrows of Middle-earth, and could only find peace there. Hope that helped.
Originally posted by Nienor
I'm sure there's someone on here who knows this a lot better than I do, but I'll try.
In the first age (the LotR's in the third) many of the elves were invited to Valinor by the Valar (kind of like gods). The Valar want the elves to go there so they can live in peace and happiness and be taught, basically. A lot happens, which I won't try to explain b/c I'd probably mess it up, but the elves end up rebelling and leaving. Ater te elves who return to middle earth fight against Melkor (the bad valar, Sauron was his servant), the Valar allow them to return to Valinor if they become weary of Middle Earth. To get there, the elves take a ship, from the Grey Havens (which I'm guessing is a city where the ships are built). Because he was a ringbearer, Frodo is allowed to go, and Gimli is allowed to go either because of his respect for Galadriel or his friendship with Legolas. I hope this makes sense.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?