• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

The Last ⚔️Battle

Why have guilds for age groups?
Hmmmmmm.
Personally, i think that these would be better qualities:
People who can THINK. Age is not important, but a good mind and a semblance of wit are. ;)
 
I have only read The Hobbit and LOTR, so please excuse my ignorance if I end up asking some questions which to you who have read the others may sound obvious. So far I have found that elves, men, and even dwarves have a hopeful future in the end of time. But what about hobbits? Why don't they have a future as well? It doesn't seem just that the race that dealt the final blow to Sauron should not have a future like that of the other races. Or are hobbits included among men in the prophecies? I'm also wishing the Ents had a hopeful future.
 
Originally posted by LoreMaster
I have only read The Hobbit and LOTR, so please excuse my ignorance if I end up asking some questions which to you who have read the others may sound obvious. So far I have found that elves, men, and even dwarves have a hopeful future in the end of time. But what about hobbits? Why don't they have a future as well? It doesn't seem just that the race that dealt the final blow to Sauron should not have a future like that of the other races. Or are hobbits included among men in the prophecies? I'm also wishing the Ents had a hopeful future.
Tolkien states that Hobbits are an offshoot of Man and share Man's fate which lies outside the confines of Arda and Aman. Where... only Manwe and Mandos know.

LoreMaster... you need to read The Silmarillion. Much of what you seek will be found there. It provides the History of the Eldar (Elves) and the Edain (Man). Heck, it also provides the history of the world of Middle-earth as well. :)
 
Go Hobbits!!!

I came to the conclusion that I am Elven. I was at work and suddenly, out of the blue, asked a customer something in Elven. I wrote it down and it was basically, "Hi, how are you today?" Which is what I was trying to ask the person. They just laughed at me, thinking I was talking gibberous.
 
Cool, you're an Elf!!!!:D
But that's nothing!!!
I have a friend called Varda, my best friend's name is Maia, and another friend's name is Vanya!!!!!!!!!!
I really know to choose company, huh?!!!
 
huh?
I don't get it.........
I'm stupid......
Wait! I can't be stupid!
I'm not stupid!!!
I'm not!!!!!
Where was I? Oh, yes, I'm not sure what you mean...
:confused:
 
You said you wanted to meet my friends Legolas, Smeagol, and the One Ring. Well I told you that they are on the forum, and you prolly know them.

Legolas is Eogthea on the forum

Smeagol is I.am.Smeagol on the forum

the One Ring is Goldberry344 on the forum

and I, Aragorn aka King, am Arathin on here.

get it?
 
Yeeees...I get it now....
I was puzzled the first time, 'cause I'd never met any of those guys on the forum so far.....


What was the original idea of this thread...?:confused:
 
Well they are very entertaining.

The original idea was a discussion about the Last Battle, or basically, the end of the Arda as Tolkien wrote it.
 
I hope to read the Silmarillion eventually, but since I currently do not have time, I'll have some questions to ask. Would Frodo, Bilbo, and Sam ever return to Middle-Earth after the Last Battle? Would any elves return? Would Numenor rise up from the sea?

I think it would be really cool if the resurrected hobbits lived in the Shire again, since I think the Age of the Domination of Men eliminated them altogether, unless hobbits are included in the reference to men here. I guess I'm wondering about all this because the end of LOTR wasn't all that satisfying, since the triumph of good was not complete. I find myself thinking back to certain sad things, such as the fate of the Ents, and how elves have to leave Middle-Earth during the Fourth Age.

I'm sure many questions will be answered if I can find time to finish The Chronicles of Narnia and move on to read the Silmarillion.
 
Originally posted by LoreMaster
...I guess I'm wondering about all this because the end of LOTR wasn't all that satisfying, since the triumph of good was not complete. I find myself thinking back to certain sad things, such as the fate of the Ents, and how elves have to leave Middle-Earth during the Fourth Age.
A few things.

1) Until the final judgement (in Middle-earth or whatever your particular religion) evil will never be defeated.
from The Return of the King, The Last Debate
For into the midst of all these policies comes the Ring of Power, the foundation of Barad-dur, and the hope of Sauron. 'Concerning this thing, my lords, you now all know enough for the understanding of our plight, and of Sauron's. If he regains it, your valour is vain, and his victory will be swift and complete: so complete that none can foresee the end of it while this world lasts. If it is destroyed, then he will fall; and his fall will be so low that none can foresee his arising ever again. For he will lose the best part of the strength that was native to him in his beginning, and all that was made or begun with that power will crumble, and he will be maimed for ever, becoming a mere spirit of malice that gnaws itself in the shadows, but cannot again grow or take shape. And so a great evil of this world will be removed. 'Other evils there are that may come; for Sauron is himself but a servant or emissary. Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.
This quote makes it clear that Sauron is but the emissary of the ultimate evil of Tolkien's world who is Melkor, the True Dark Lord. Until he is destroyed, evil cannot be eliminated from the world.

2) The Last Battle - This is the story of the ultimate confrontation between Melkor and the Powers of Good. The prophesy states that Melkor will be faced by Tulkas (representing the Ainur), Feanor (representing Elves) and Turin (representing Man). It is Turin's sword Gurthang that is destined to deliver Melkor's death blow.

3) The Elves left Middle-earth because the Power of the Elven-rings had faded and everything that was dear to them would no longer be preserved by the power of the Elven-rings. It was not Man that forced their departure, rather Sauron. You see, the Elves were in a no-win situation. If Sauron won the War of the Rings, the Elves would have had to flee Middle-earth back to Aman. If Sauron lost the War of the Rings, the Elves would have to abandon Middle-earth because their Power was gone.

PS If you'll read Maedhros' first post in this thread, he quotes every reference to the Last Battle. It really gives no indication of what will happen to the different Races. It simply states that Good will prevail.
 
Last edited:
I need a copy of the Sim. my mom threw hers away years ago as it was in twenty pieces. (Actually my father threw it away and my mom almost killed him, then ten years later kicked him out. funny isn't it?) My mom was a huge tolkienite a while back. not as much now, but she still likes it a ton, and watches the movie with me all the time.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top