• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien

Wood Elf

Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2002
Messages
118
Is this a good book? And, is that the title of it, The Letters of JRR Tolkien? I notice alot of times this book is used to quote things, and back things up, and it sounds interesting. Expanding more knowlege of M.E. is great! :)
 
Its an interesting book. It shows the thinking and evolution of the stories behind the seen, as well as personal stuff about Tolkien. And, as you say, it is used by Tolkien-nerds (myself included) to trump all other arguments (except mine).
 
The letters are a marvelous glimpse into the life and mind of Tolkien. It's more then just about the evolution of Middle-earth...it is his love for his children, his relationship with C.S. Lewis...his amazement at the popularity of his stories. It really is a fabulous read and a fantastic resource.
 
Great comment ReadWryt, I am still on the search for it. It sounds better than I had hoped!!!
 
Well my copy of 'Letters' arrived this morning and I can tell you that it is amazing. The amounts of information contained in the book is awesome.

As for buying over the internet. In England the retail/shop price of 'Letters' is £9.99. I got my copy on Amazon for £7.99 +P&P, which wasn't as much as buying it in a shop.
 
The Letters, a good book and highly recommendable as well as the Biography.... :D
 
Last edited:
One thing that is refreshing and endearing in the letters is the Professor's constant amazement at the popularity of his fiction..it is constant and obviously heart felt.
 
RW: Sometimes I found myself wondering whether things are the way You put it or or whether Tolkien's amazement is some form of "understatement" of the Prof.
 
Last edited:
Letters of Tolkien?

Hi there, can someone tell me if the June 2002 Houghton Mifflin version of The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien is the correct one to get? Is it the book people are referring to when they say "The Letters" here on the forum? Is this the most complete edition you can get? Its isbn is 0618056998.


Thanks so much! :)
 
I have the 1981 HarperCollins, but the edition you quote would be more up to date. So that would be the one to get.
 
Thank you Rumil, for being the only one kind enough to respond. I'm asking for the Letters for Christmas and wanted to be sure to get the right edition! Thanks again! :)
 
Originally posted by Elennainie
Hi there, can someone tell me if the June 2002 Houghton Mifflin version of The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien is the correct one to get? Is it the book people are referring to when they say "The Letters" here on the forum? Is this the most complete edition you can get? Its isbn is 0618056998.


Thanks so much! :)
That is the copy I just received. Edited by Humphrey Carpenter. From what I have read so far it is very good.
 
Thanks, Blue Wizard! I just got mine for Christmas too! :) I haven't had a chance to read it yet though. And welcome to the Forum! :D We're having a Christmas/New Year's party in the Guild of Tolkienology's Hall of Creative Endeavors, if you'd like to come.
 
Somewhat related.....

Is the biography by Carpenter good? I'm thinking I'm getting both books by Carpenter for my birthday (letters and the bio.)


Thanks.
 
Originally posted by GuardianRanger
Somewhat related.....

Is the biography by Carpenter good? I'm thinking I'm getting both books by Carpenter for my birthday (letters and the bio.)


Thanks.
I understand that is the one to get. I have not read it but from what I have seen posted from others who have it appears to be THE biography to have.
 
The Biography is very good. Yes, that's the one to get. If this helps at all.

I also got the Letters from the Library, the 1981 edition. They're very good, but if there is a 2002 edition, then that's what I'll get when i buy it.:)
 
The Letters are definitely one of the best books Tolkien ever wrote. They contain glimpses of his life, of his thought processes, and many many philosophical aspects of his works such as The Lord of the Rings. I found these comments invaluable for discussions and debates.

I recommend this book to everyone who would like to delve deeper into Middle Earth.:)
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top