• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

The Monsters and the Critics

Lantarion

no house
Joined
Aug 19, 2001
Messages
3,710
(and other essays)
Is it worth buying? I may buy it, just to see another form of Tolkien-writing. Has anybody here read it?
 
If I had access to a decent library *grumbles*, I would read the books. Seeing as how I do not, I am afraid it will have to wait!
 
Going through old threads, found this one, feel the need to respond.

The Monsters and the Critics was Tolkien's landmark essay about Beowulf, in which he essentially set the tone for the rest of the century's discussions about the poem. Read it if you have read Beowulf, as it is a masterful piece of literary analysis/criticism.
 
Beowulf sucks.:rolleyes:

Therefore I doubt I would find this book interesting.
 
"On Fairy Stories" is too often overlooked, I fear, by most Tolkien readers, even ones who have delved into the HoMe. I consider the lecture/essay to be vital in understanding the way Tolkien apporached his stories, as well as incredibly insightful and enjoyable in its own right.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top