Ancalagon
Quality, not Quantity!
- Joined
- Aug 20, 2001
- Messages
- 1,778
Ok, I have been looking through a number of chapters to try and answer my own question, and I can't seem to find an answer.
Frodo, up until the Barrow-Downs had always kept his ring on a chain, but never around his neck. Each reference made to him removing the ring was always from a pocket, and always attached to a chain. Initially, when the group had been captured by the Barrow-Wights I guessed all of them had had their clothes removed and had been dressed in white. Naturally, if this had been the case, Frodo would also have lost his clothes, and ALSO his ring. However, Frodo, upon re-reading the chapter, must not have been laid on the stone, adorned in trinkets and circlets and clothed in white gowns as Sam, Merry and Pippin were. Remember, Tom told them;
So, my question is; Why was Frodo not dressed in the same fashion as his colleagues, why were his clothes not removed and why did the ring not get lost with them?
I am sure someone has an answer to this little poser.
Frodo, up until the Barrow-Downs had always kept his ring on a chain, but never around his neck. Each reference made to him removing the ring was always from a pocket, and always attached to a chain. Initially, when the group had been captured by the Barrow-Wights I guessed all of them had had their clothes removed and had been dressed in white. Naturally, if this had been the case, Frodo would also have lost his clothes, and ALSO his ring. However, Frodo, upon re-reading the chapter, must not have been laid on the stone, adorned in trinkets and circlets and clothed in white gowns as Sam, Merry and Pippin were. Remember, Tom told them;
you won't find your clothes again
clothes are but little loss, if you escape from drowning
So, my question is; Why was Frodo not dressed in the same fashion as his colleagues, why were his clothes not removed and why did the ring not get lost with them?
I am sure someone has an answer to this little poser.


