• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

The power of Cerin Amroth

Maeglin

Elite
Joined
Jul 26, 2002
Messages
2,194
They entered the circle of white trees. As they did so the South Wind blew upon Cerin Amroth and sighed among the branches. Frodo stood still, hearing far off great seas upon beaches that had long ago been washed away, and sea-birds crying whose race had perished from the earth.

Can anyone explain this? Is this an effect of Galadriel's power and presence in the wood, or is it something else? Maybe the memory of Amroth? For some reason that just doesn't seem to work for me, though I'm not sure why. And certainly Frodo cannot hear the sea birds all the way down at the mouth of Anduin. I don't know, maybe this is just a stupid question, but I just wanted to see what other people's thoughts were.
 
I think it is Galadriel's presence. She is a very powerfeul Noldorin Elf and one of the few Elves living in Lothlorien who has lived near the sea (in Beleriand). Maybe she transmitted her own memory to the forest of Lothlorien, or maybe because she was also a Ringbearer Frodo could feel her thoughts.
 
Lothlorien reminds me of the Undying Lands. I think that in such places there is a lot of memory. Now remember Legolas could hear the voices of the earth in Hollin which remembered the elves. I think that it was part of the effect of staying off time that the elements of Earth remember things, and speak of them... voices on the wind and in the water.

I think this was a combination of Galadriel and Nenya.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top