• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

The relationship between the Mouth of 👁️Sauron and the 💀Nazgul

CWOBrien

AlatarPolando
Joined
Feb 18, 2019
Messages
5
Such are the things I like to wonder about in my spare time XD

Do you reckon their relationship was a frosty one? Would they have competed for Sauron's favour? And would the Mouth have known each Ringwraith according to his measure?
 
It's an interesting question. I think it likely that the Mouth might well have competed, or tried to compete, for Sauron's favor; the impression from his description seems to indicate that: "he was more cruel than any orc". He probably betrayed many a competitor.

But I don't imagine the Nazgul looked on it that way, as they were entirely enslaved to their rings, and thus to Sauron directly. They may in fact have taken no notice of him.
 
It's an interesting question. I think it likely that the Mouth might well have competed, or tried to compete, for Sauron's favor; the impression from his description seems to indicate that: "he was more cruel than any orc". He probably betrayed many a competitor.

But I don't imagine the Nazgul looked on it that way, as they were entirely enslaved to their rings, and thus to Sauron directly. They may in fact have taken no notice of him.
Which leads me to a new post idea of mine:
*DO* the Nazgul have minds of their OWN?


CL
 
But I don't imagine the Nazgul looked on it that way, as they were entirely enslaved to their rings, and thus to Sauron directly. They may in fact have taken no notice of him.

I think so too. Also, the Mouth of Sauron was a mortal man. So even in case of competition for Sauron's favour, the Nazgul would regard him as a very temporary problem at best.

*DO* the Nazgul have minds of their OWN?

Minds yes, but with no independence. They organized e.g. the hunt for the Ring in a reasoned way, yet in full obedience.
 
the Nazgul would regard him as a very temporary problem at best.
Yes, like a Mayfly -- "A trifle that Sauron fancies".

But here's a question: We know that he considered that he was due for the command of Isengard; I wonder if he also hoped to be awarded the ring of the fallen Witch-King -- and if so, how likely would Sauron be to give it to him?
 
Last edited:

Similar threads

Back
Top