• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

The Riddle Thread

Well. Not to be hasty, but I would guess a fishing lure.
When you need it you throw it away from you on a fishing line.
When you don't need it you raise it out of the water to the pole and attach it, and there it sits.
Haleth's riddle has already been answered, by EA. The answer is an anchor.
 
That's the point of the riddle. If it was logical, it would be way too easy.

Nope. Um, why would it be a mirror? I don't really see how you came to that conclusion.
I figured that a mirror shows a room with reflections of doors and windows. The people can't actually leave unless you leave through the real door. Probably thinking too hard on it 😅 .

A chatroom could fit too maybe? Full of people but no doors or windows.
 
Well. Not to be hasty, but I would guess a fishing lure.
When you need it you throw it away from you on a fishing line.
When you don't need it you raise it out of the water to the pole and attach it, and there it sits.
It's supposed to be an anchor but your answer makes sense too.
 
It's supposed to be an anchor but your answer makes sense too.

I suppose a few answers could. with enough pondering.
Though I fished when I was young, and did indeed 'throw an anchor away from me', they were still heavy and didn't go very far.
And the first 'anchors' that come to mind for me are the great huge ones on the boats on the seas, and few can even lift those.

And I recall some of the older Ents saying "throw the oars in the water" when it was time to row away.
Yet they raised them from the water when they were no longer needed.

In any event, it's a nice riddle and took me some time to think of anything suitable...

I may need to visit this thread more regularly. Probably a good thing for an aging brain.
 
Well. Not to be hasty, but I would guess a fishing lure.
When you need it you throw it away from you on a fishing line.
When you don't need it you raise it out of the water to the pole and attach it, and there it sits.
While trying to fall asleep last night, I figured out why I had never thought about a fishing lure before. In the Russian version of the riddle the pronoun shows that the object is masculine. This fact has been lost in translation of the riddle into English. In Russian an anchor is masculine and a fishing lure is feminine.
 
Do you think this could mean that riddles are easier to solve in gendered languages, as it can sorts out some of the words?
 

AHA. And the superiority of truly 'well designed' languages once again demonstrates the absurdities of the English language, and its laxness in accurately communicating most things at a true 'detail' level.

More similar to Hebrew and Greek is Russian, in that element at least, then. I did not know that.

Thank you.
 
Do you think this could mean that riddles are easier to solve in gendered languages, as it can sorts out some of the words?
Yeah, maybe it's easier. Good idea!
Thanks! I love my native language but I enjoy learning English too.
 
Russian is very similar to Greek, actually. We stole a lot of Greek for our Cyrillic alphabet, as Cyrill (the guy who invented the Cyrillic alphabet) was from Greece.
 
A symbol of sorrow I am,
Yet inspired valor upon the land,
Wet from both man and river,
Yet I was carried like a quiver.

RELATED TO LEGENDARIUM
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…