• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

The worst of the three movies

The worst movie

  • FOTR

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • TTT

    Votes: 20 37.7%
  • ROTK

    Votes: 8 15.1%
  • They were all good

    Votes: 24 45.3%
  • They all sucked

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    53

Turin

...Lost
Joined
Nov 24, 2002
Messages
865
I've seen all these polls for which movie is the best so I thought there should be a which movie is the worst, if there is already a thread about this please delete this one. So which movie do you think is the worst? For me its RotK because it followed the book the least.
 
They were all good, but for me it was TTT, because it followed the book the least and therefore had some flaws.
 
I wish this were a multiple choice poll, because they were all very good, but of all TTT was the worst, only because it differed from the book so much, while the other two were mostly faithful. But all in all, they were awesome.
 
The Two Towers based simply on the fact that the most liberties were taken with my FAVORITE characters: Aragorn and Faramir.

The added sending Arwen away scenes ruined that for me.
The added Faramir the jerk scenes ruined that for me.

It was also a little bit confusing. I found my siblings asked the most questions about it (they haven't read the books) hoping I could explain, and very commonly the answer was, "I really don't know. That wasn't in the books."

Their questions in FotR and RotK I could say, "Well it's because of this and this" when it got confusing, which was less often.
 
The Two Towers, hands down. The editing, the screenplay, its faithfulness to its original source, the way Helm's Deep dominated the film, they all made The Two Towers somewhat inferior to the other two films. Also, the fact that it was simply the middle film, with no beginning or end, made it feel less complete than the other two.
 
Definitely TTT

"adaptions" aside TTT is just a very average movie in its own right
 
Turin said:
For me its RotK because it followed the book the least.
I'm having a real hard time with this view. There is no way that TTT followed the book better than RoTK. RoTK had many omissions (still not as much as TTT) but it followed the book quite well. TTT had numerous plot changes, character changes, added scenes no in the book, and distorted scenes that were in the book. RoTK was very minimal in all the above stated (even less so than FoTR).

I still fail to see why so many of you are basing your opinions on this movie as to what is going to be in the EE or what was known that wouldn't be filmed. The Scouring of the Shire was never filmed nor intended to be put in. We all knew this before FoTR even hit the screens.

Why did people expect RoTK to follow the books religiously when the other movies did not and defenses upon defenses were put up for PJ that these movies were not going (or even supposed) to follow the book.

"It's PJ's interpretation", "You can't expect it to follow the book word for word and scene for scene" were some of the diatribes that we were exposed to.
Now all of a sudden there is a shift of opinion and expectation here? Why? We've been saying for years that we can only expect more changes.

Regardless of the changes (which you all should have been expecting if you spent any time here on this forum) RoTK was the BEST movie out of all three and the BEST adaptation (maybe with the exception of the FoTR EE).
 
Well, I say that because the changes in TTT didn't annoy me as much, it was the middle movie and I accepted the changes yet expecting RotK to redeem the deviations made in the last movies, it was PJ's last chance to redeem himself.
 
In other words you had higher expectations for RotK. . .is that fair to say, Turin?

I didn't, really. I had the highest expectations for TTT. This is partly because so much of that book I really loved (I'm not sure if it is my favorite, but it is a close second to RotK) . FotR's had changes, but they weren't anything the Towers couldn't fix. Aragorn had plenty of scenes that would erase any weakness founded in the maybe two bad scenes in the Fellowship (I didn't see the EE until after the TTT. I think I like the FotR better without the EE because the weak Aragorn wasn't so obvious in the theatrical.).

Edit: suggestion. . .do you think it would be a good idea for the mods to sticky two threads, one being this one and the other being a "which film is the best thread?"
 
I cannot really say. I voted that all of the movies were wonderful, because they are. I can find ways to enjoy them while watching them. I saw FOTR before the books, and needless to say, that was for me the best. After I saw TTT, I felt sick to my stomach. I learned to like it, for the sake of the movies. I thought they would all be excellent and amazing and perfect in the end. When I first saw ROTK, I didn't know what to think. I just had too high of expectations. Frodo telling Sam was unexpected, and destroyed my favorite part of the book, and indeed, the only reason why I finished the book. I saw ROTK again, and it wasn't so bad. I could enjoy it.... but I finally realized that the movies couldn't catch the story that I had heard. And I just said oh well. I will see ROTK a few more times in theaters. I will get the EE later this year. And I will watch them all again, together, alone... by myself, and with friends. And also this year, I will reread LOTR. I will reread The Hobbit. I will reread Sil, and begin HoME. I think, that the movies will fade. No one will talk about them anymore, it will be odd, because they are what I am known for. But the story that I found with them will not fade, and there will be many years left. And, Frodo and Sam will be how they are supposed to be.
After seeing TTT, I knew it didn't compare to FOTR. I expected ROTK to be as good, or better, than FOTR. I was wrong. But it didn't matter. I haven't even thought about ROTK's ranking with the first two movies, all I can think of is watching all three together one day. And hopefully not watching the movies for long enough one day, so I can read the book in peace.
 
You're right elgee, I should have lowered my expectations for RotK, but instead I held on to what hope I still had.
 
I wish I could vote for both TTT and RoTK. Both of them were bad, for not following the book (especialy TTT) but also weak cinematikally ex: lame humor by Gimly ( again TTT), and for too long battle scenes (especially helm's deep, TTT)

Now that I read myself, I've changed my mind. the worst movie is clearly TTT.
 
As films all three were very good, but as adaptations TTT was by far the worst, there were far too many huge glaring additions and inconsistencies for my taste in that one.
 
I would have to say that all three were great films. And although I would have to choose TTT as my least favorite of the trilogy, I still thought it was awesome.
 
In my opinion, TTT was the worst. It followed the book the least.. and I'm not even going to start to name all the things that are wrong with it. But, I am still able to enjoy it as a movie, and I'm sure it could be worse. But TTT was definately my least favorite out of the three.
 
I dont know.....althought TTT dint follow the book as much as the other the fighting scenes were really good! that was one thing that i liked about the movie! But if you want it eimilar to the book then it just was crap
 
I love the TTT book and I think that TTT movie sucks.
The worst thing is that they took the best scenes from it and put into RotK and in that time they made some ridiculous scenes, like Aragorn falling from the scarp. No, no, no :mad:

I've watched it only once and I think I should watch it again - maybe I'll find some good fragments.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top