BluestEye
Member
- Joined
- Jan 3, 2002
- Messages
- 128
I don't understand something... While I read the Sil again it suddenly occured to me that Thingol have actualy sent Beren into the quest to get him a Silmaril from the crown of Morgoth. Here is a quote:
Of Beren and Luthien, 'The Silmarillion'
It appears that Thingol actualy desired a Silmaril for his own though he was not a Noldo at all and so had no part in the curse of Mandos. And he have actualy never seen a Silmaril in his life, because he was never in Valinor when the Silmarils were made by Feanor. So... someone has an idea why Thingol had this possession for the Silmaril?
BluestEye
"See now! I too desire a treasure that is withheld. For rock and steel and the fires of Morgoth keep the jewel that I would possess against all the powers of the Elf-kingdom... Go your way therefore! Bring me in your hand a Silmaril from Morgoth's crown."
Of Beren and Luthien, 'The Silmarillion'
It appears that Thingol actualy desired a Silmaril for his own though he was not a Noldo at all and so had no part in the curse of Mandos. And he have actualy never seen a Silmaril in his life, because he was never in Valinor when the Silmarils were made by Feanor. So... someone has an idea why Thingol had this possession for the Silmaril?
BluestEye

