(running on, as it were, ad infinitum...)
We know that the
Dragon Helm of Dor-Lómin was made by
Telchar of Nogrod for Azaghâl Lord of Belegost. Azaghâl gave it to
Maedhros, Maedhros to
Fingon, Fingon to Hador, and Hador to his son Galdor, and Galdor to his son
Húrin; Húrin could not wear it comfortably (he was smaller of stature than his father), and he left it behind in the
Nirnaeth Arnoediad; and so
Morwen his wife sent it to
Turin her son in his exile in
Doriath. (This chain of custody is established in the passage in
Unfinished Tales immediately preceding the material on Gamil Zirak.) So to propose as you do that
Narsil might have come to
Elendil by way of, say,
Gil-galad from
Celebrimbor would not be astonishing. As you astutely point out, it might easily have come from Telchar to
Curufin to Celebrimbor to Gil-galad to Elendil. I would only point out that regarding this chain of custody, in
Silmarillion, “Of
Beren and
Lúthien” (page 208 in the 2002 Ballantine/DelRey paperback edition close at hand; I cannot lay my hands on my hardback; the quote is a bit difficult to locate),
Tolkien remarks that when
Orodreth expelled
Celegorm and Curufin from
Nargothrond for their misrule of the
city in place of and in spite of Orodreth,
In that time Celebrimbor the son of Curufin repudiated the deeds of his father, and remained in Nargothrond…
And the text goes on to say that
Huan followed Celegorm into exile. It was immediately after this that these two
sons of Fëanor fell upon Beren, and Lúthien, that Curufin attempted to kidnap Lúthien.
Then Beren sprang from before Celegorm full upon the speeding
horse of Curufin that had passed him; and the Leap of Beren is renowned among
Men and
Elves. He took Curufin by the throat from behind, and hurled him backward, and they fell to the ground together. The horse reared and fell, but Lúthien was flung aside, and lay upon the grass. … Beren throttled Curufin…
Celegorm set to ride him down with a spear from horseback, and Huan intervened; then Curufin attempted to murder Lúthien by shooting her with an
arrow and nearly killed Beren instead. I do not deny that Narsil might have come into Celebrimbor’s possession as I believe you describe; however, it seems to me that it would have to taken place before the brothers left Nargothrond; though perhaps Narsil was a lesser
sword to them than one forged by their father in
Valinor, particularly were they constrained to take little with them in haste, since the folk of Nargothrond had to be restrained by Orodreth from killing Celegorm and Curufin; and in such straights, perhaps the brothers might well regard even so great a sword as Narsil in lieu of
Fëanor’s craft..
As far as I know, nothing in the published material says that Aranrúth was or was not forged by Telchar; or that Narsil had or had not passed through
Thingol’s horde. I believe the person who suggested that
both had been
both forged by Telchar
and part of Thingol’s horde (he is, again, more learnéd than I) made his suggestion based upon what struck him (and me) as a pleasing plotline symmetry that would arise out of a gift to the first Lord of Andúnië by his grandfather the
King of Númenor of a sword that was mate to that of the King’s: two royal
swords, two royal lines, and ultimately, two lines of
Númenórean Kings (the
House of Elros and its offspring, the
House of Elendil). To my mind, were I
Elros, Aranrúth, my great-grandfather’s own personal
weapon, would be preferable to its mate. And so a gift of Narsil to Valandil by Tar-Elendil would be a gift with sublime meaning: the Lords of Valandil are just as noble as the Kings of
Númenor, but – well, the House of Elros has the throne of Armenelos and Aranrúth, and the House of Valandil has … Andúnië. And Narsil. Particularly in light of the change in the law two generations later, it strikes me as appropriately (and somewhat cruelly) ironic.
Of course, Elendil could also have found Narsil in a
troll hoard, just as
Gandalf and
Thorin found
Glamdring and
Orcrist. We simply are not told in the published material how Narsil came into his possession. Perhaps some gripping back story lies awaiting for us in a dusty box in Oxford or Marquette. But it would seem unlikely – and be unseemly – were the heir of the last Lord of Andúnië to take ship with his sons and closest followers without a sword. Though, I suppose, arguments could be made why he should, and might, and would have done so. Feel free to make them and expound upon them. I will follow as best I can and as time allows.
Don’t misunderstand me,
Snaga: I am not disagreeing with you. There is no basis in the published material, as far as I know, for me to disagree. (If I am mistaken, I am confident someone will provide quotations of the appropriate passages and rip me into tiny little shreds.) It simply strikes me more prosaic if Elendil received Narsil from Celebrimbor by way of Gil-galad than if he stumbled upon it in a Rhudaurian cave, and yet even more poetic if Valandil received it from Tar-Elendil. To me, it makes for a richer tale, deeper foreshadowing, fuller complexion, darker irony, and greater beauty. But that is just my preference; your preference may be otherwise, and since I see it as merely speculation and preference, I am delighted to learn yours – and everyone else’s – as to the specific origins of Narsil. And so I say again, if you can embellish your proposition, please continue!
In the meantime, we are tentatively pinning furtive sketches of leaves onto Niggles’ Tree. And I hope that this gives Niggle, should he see and hear us, cause to smile. It makes me smile; and I hope it shines a snaggly smile on Snaga’s visage, too.