• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Three Rings for the 🧝Elven Kings

seraphnb

New Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2011
Messages
2
Hey folks! This is my first post here, and I wanted to jump straight to the chase! :*)

So, the other day, I stumbled upon a website called "Three Rings for the Elven Kings: the World Described by Tolkien is Real!" It contains quite a few bucket-loads of information and assumptions. The first section, the "Chronology of Middle-earth," shows that the length of time between the sinking of Beleriand and the beginning of the Fourth Age is precisely the amount of time between the sinking of Atlantis (according to Theosophical doctrine) and the beginning of the Fourth, Kali Yuga. Thus, they provide dates for the beginnings of each age:

First Age: 10,160 BC
Second Age: 9563 BC
Third Age: 6122 BC
Fourth Age: 3102 BC

Once they have determined that, they proceed to show the dates of the reigns of each and every king, lord and chieftain from the Folk of Bëor to the Reunited Kingdom of Arnor and Gondor in their History section. In that same area, they do a huge bit of guesswork, identifying Aragorn with Trór from the Prose Edda and Eldarion with Lóriði. After that, they use genealogies from the Edda and the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle to trace the bloodline from Aragorn to Ottor Wǽfre, who, in the earliest revisions of Tolkien's stories, was the elf-friend who witnessed the final battles between the elves and the servants of Morgoth on Tol Eressëa, which eventually became England in the 300-400 AD time range.

Alright, that has just been a lot of speculation on their part, but what do you guys think of it? Pretty awesome if true, but . . . more than a wee bit far-fetched. Any ideas welcome!
Seraph
 
Last edited:
Hah, thanks for the fun site seraphnb :) And Welcome To TTF!

In the history section if you scroll to the bottom the page there's a timeline showing the progression of Aragorn's family through history, eventually founding England ~400AD. I think they could use a lot more explanation of why they used the Edda. Fun stuff to think about, though

Also :*D what's with that picture on the main page??
 
Hey Bard, hey Prince! Thanks for the input.

@Bard- yeah, it really had me scratching my head at that point. In the Lost Road, Tolkien is all talking about Numenor-Atlantis . . . never Beleriand-Atlantis. They offer this petty explanation:

"What about Númenor, which was destroyed in 3319 Second Age – surely that was Atlantis, rather than Beleriand? Well, yes it was. But the destruction of Beleriand was a much greater catastrophe, at least in terms of land area sunk (the Change of the World was another matter, of course!). The ancient Sanskrit myths which were the basis of Theosophical doctrine may have remembered the greater catastrophe and forgotten the lesser, or at least confused the two events. On our chronology the sinking of Númenor occurred much later, in 6245 BC (3319 Second Age)."

I suppose that kind of explains it . . . kind of . . .

@Prince- Thanks for the welcome! I am a long-time lurker, but decided to join just because I realized that LotR is not just a fad that I am going through- it is much, much more. :D

I agree with your questions about the Edda. I guess because Tolkien REALLY loved that ancient Norse myth, or something like that. Though, I admit, it is a pretty interesting standpoint for looking at history. It says that Troy (from the Iliad) was founded after the Great Flood of Christianity and was the sort of capital of the world, but their king Odin led his people away to the north around 1 BC (long after Troy was supposed to have been ransacked), where they settled EVERYTHING. I guess that is the connection from the Norwegians to Aragorn.

As for the bit about the pic- I assume you not talking about the map of Europe before the North Sea formed with LotR place names in the appropriate spots, but about the mostly-naked girl with a chain-mail bikini bottom? Yeah . . . I have no idea, but I am not upset that it is there. ;)

Seraph

PS- Speaking of the map of the European continental shelf . . . is that not pretty bizarre? I had seen it before, of course, but it is still unusual. If their time-line is true, it supposes that the North Sea formed in the flood of 2194 BC (aka 909 Fourth Age). Then, this weird map would be possible. The relations between all of the countries are correct, and so is the fauna and flora as described in the books . . . I also like their work with placing Hobbiton in Sarehole. Matches up quite beautifully. Interesting that the hill for Bag End corresponds with a hill ridden with caves and tunnels . . .
 
Last edited:
Hmm, interesting, but to blather a bit about this part :*D

'Now it turns out that the sinking of Beleriand (not Númenor) is separated from the beginning of the Fourth Age of Middle-earth by precisely the same time span, 6462 years. The maths is simple – Beleriand was destroyed in the final year of the First Age, the Second Age lasted 3441 years, and the Third Age lasted 3020 years (plus a couple of months or so). 1 + 3441 + 3020 = 6462. The chances of Tolkien hitting on this number by accident are astronomical, especially when in both the Middle-earth mythology and Theosophical doctrine this period is opened by the submergence of a huge landmass, and is closed by the beginning of something called the 'Fourth Age'. We can now, without further ado...'

Some readers of The Silmarillion do not realize that the War of Wrath took 42 years and 'In this war Beleriand is broken and destroyed.' (JRRT, The Tale of Years, The War of The Jewels), and the First Age ended 3 years after the end date of the War, as the War of Wrath ended SY 587 and the First Age ends SY 590.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top