• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Tolkien's worst character

Interesting points. Let me give my thoughts on this.
True, although this is because her lore is unfinished.
I have a few theories as to why this might be the case. First of all, Galadriel strikes me as more tactful than many of the Noldor so perhaps she thought it wiser to slowly gain influence among the natives than to found her own realm. She became betrothed to a prince of Doriath who probably had political power and became the handmaid of the most powerful person in Middle-Earth, so maybe she planned on getting some debts paid. After all, from her perspective as an elf, she was probably only in Doriath for a few years.
I believe there are references in the Unfinished Tales to her judging Morgoth could not be defeated without the aid of the Valar and, at least in some versions, before the War of Wrath, she and Celeborn went over to Eriador for that reason. That, I think, plays in well with her being wiser than all the Noldor since she was completely right. Of course, some of this was probably unrevised for Galadriel's invention and Tolkien intended to do it later. After all, The Silmarillion was not published until after his death.
This could be to reflect the general Elven restlessness. She wants to rule a realm, but she knows, being wisest of the Elves, that she belongs in Valinor. Also, it is possible that she felt she was too close to Gil-Galad (either her nephew or her younger cousin) and therefore wanted to rule a realm of her own further from his influence.
This is interesting, but I don't think it is impossible to get out of these problems. "Lord of Eregion" could easily refer to Celebrimbor's coup, in which case the most probable seems to be that this happens after Annatar came. Or it could simply mean that Celebrimbor was a lord of Eregion alongside Celeborn and Galadriel. That seems to me plausible, although nowhere stated. I will say I seem to remember the Appendices saying Celebrimbor was of the house of Fëanor, so that is probably "canon".
Well, if most fans assume that, I personally would disagree with them.
This could be meant to show character growth. Seeing her entire family die, most lately Celebrimbor, could have easily changed her to prioritize quick recovery for these people over founding her own land. Of course, there is a version where Amroth is her son and therefore it basically could be her land. This is different from getting past a phase, but simply prioritizing things as being greater than her desire. In other words, she could have prioritized harboring Elven lives in the nearest possible place over founding a kingdom
We do not know, I admit, nor do we know the location of Celeborn, unfortunately, although I imagine Tolkien planned on writing something before his death. According to some versions of the story (whether or not you accept it as canon), she and Celeborn set up a realm in Belfalas, thus making it plausible that she was still trying to found her own realm. In that case, she could have been defending that place. But I admit we do not know, as with many details of the Second Age.
Perhaps out of humility? Again, it is possible for temptation to power to still be present even when she is making a conscious attempt to be humble.
That is an opinion you are free to hold. I agree that it would be nice to have a completed version. But Tolkien did die before finishing it unfortunately. I disagree, however, that most of her actions were out of character or cannot be justified therein.
 
Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…