• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Discussion Twilight Amidst the Everlasting Darkness: Discussion

I have to say I laughed at Aredhel's 'big stupid carrot top' insult. 😂

Is this a good prediction for what happens next?
Eöl and Aredhel fighting over Maedhros (the carrot), then Celegorm (Papa Smurf) comes to the rescue.
character cooking GIF
 
I have to say I laughed at Aredhel's 'big stupid carrot top' insult. 😂

Is this a good prediction for what happens next?
Eöl and Aredhel fighting over Maedhros (the carrot), then Celegorm (Papa Smurf) comes to the rescue.
character cooking GIF
The poor carrot is taking quite the beating!

😂
 
I think the actions and behaviour of the characters make sense here. It's a bit easy to fall into exaggeration when dealing with villainous characters like Eöl, but here he is acting quite 'normally' again, after most of his anger has passed. Not that normal is particularly good for Maedhros, since Eöl has no regard for the life of this invader from the West, as he sees him.
This is justified in Eöl's mind perhaps, as the house of Fëanor killed people of the Teleri, distant kin of his. And of course, he sees Aredhel as belonging to him now, and will not allow her other family to take her from him.
 
Dear Eöl,

Say hello to my cousins, whom you know as Kinslayers.

You will regret the day you ever laid hands on my sister and Maedhros.

Signed,
The High Prince Fingon, Aredhel’s oldest brother 🙂

~~~~~

All jokes aside, this was a very grim chapter. What love Aredhel has for her son to take the dagger for him!

I also feel for Celegorm when he initially finds his brother laying there, his heart momentarily stopping out of fear, not knowing yet whether or not Maedhros was even still alive. 🥺
 
Dear Eöl,

Say hello to my cousins, whom you know as Kinslayers.

You will regret the day you ever laid hands on my sister and Maedhros.

Signed,
The High Prince Fingon, Aredhel’s oldest brother 🙂
Do your business, brother!

All jokes aside, this was a very grim chapter. What love Aredhel has for her son to take the dagger for him!

I also feel for Celegorm when he initially finds his brother laying there, his heart momentarily stopping out of fear, not knowing yet whether or not Maedhros was even still alive. 🥺
Yeah, it is indeed heavy stuff. I thought Tyelko here did a fantastic job writing Aredhel's death. It's very moving.
 
Do your business, brother!
If only I had known in time, I would have torn across all Beleriand in a heartbeat to reach you, brother. 😔

Yeah, it is indeed heavy stuff. I thought Tyelko here did a fantastic job writing Aredhel's death. It's very moving.
It is! Aredhel doesn’t hesitate for a moment to jump and shield her son. The descriptions of her sensations after she’s hit feel as if they’re in slow-motion, yet they happen within just a couple seconds. The swiftly growing numbness, allowing herself to just stop trying to think, the poetry of seeing blood, believing it must be some mercy of Ilúvatar’s that she didn’t feel pain when she hit the ground, her labored breathing; the simplicity of how it’s written deliver all of this powerfully as she’s dying. 🥺
 
Back
Top